TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
flashpoint

Default replacing the Thetford toilet with a tradition RV toilet

So who has actually changed out their stink pot for a traditional RV toliet with a tank. I looked under the unit and there is not much room. The grey tank takes up all room for and external black tank. Did you put a black tank in its place and add a smal grey tank? I thought there was a topic on this but I cannot find it.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Scott O

Very controversial topic, but my experience is that if you have a "stinkpot" you are doing something wrong. Ours does not smell.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
retiredgoat

I did and love it, I replaced the thedford and the regular flush has an 2.5 gal cavity between the upper valve and dump valve which gives me a three to five day period before dumping. All I do is add some deodorant to the water on the first flush and it works great.

I'm happy with the change and have an 18 gal tote to use in state and national parks which should cover a week at least.

Best of luck
Bob
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
flashpoint

Bob.....would it be possible to get more info from you and maybe some pics....I was thinking I could replace the gray tank with a bigger tank and run both the black and grey together. Did you have to elevate the traditional toilet in order to connect to the tank. I looked under the trailer and the main beam is in the way to run a traditional black line into the tank as it sits.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

I have a feeling that you are going to get the usual "Use the Search Function--everything you seek is there!" (Thetford) As soon as I win a $500 lotto ticket it's going towards replacing that sorry excuse for a toilet.

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You're right, Wayne-o. It has been discussed for quite a while. If we try to repeat it all here, no doubt some of the content of the original discussions will be missing, giving the OP a less-than-complete answer. So why try to repeat it all?

FWIW, mine doesn't stink either. I'm not sure why some folks have a different exepience. As long as you use the right quantity of the right kind of deodorant, and flush thoroughly, and rinse it out after you empty it ... Well, it works for me.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
Dave99gst

Mines been replaced, I have no holding tank for the toilet - it just drains right into one of those external ones on wheels. It was like this when i got it.
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #8
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Flashpoint,

I would like to suggest you become a member. Then you can search the entire site and find what you are looking for.

It is only $12 a year and well worth it... Click here for more information.

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99gst View Post
Mines been replaced, I have no holding tank for the toilet - it just drains right into one of those external ones on wheels. It was like this when i got it.
I discovered just recently that dumping blackwater via a portable tank like the blue boy is illegal in Florida State Parks. And perhaps elsewhere.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
clown9644

Did you know the reason your unit has the Thetford is so that Trailmanor meets the codes. A standard flush unit cannot be put in the units and have them meet the codes set up by whoever makes them up. NO folding unit can.

By the way, my Thetford does not stink till about a week+, I am careful and make sure to have the chemicals in and I do not buy cheap chemicals, so maybe that is the answer. Also, keep the lid closed when not in use.