TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default SOLUTION: The ultimate fresh water transfer pump

While on a 5-week camping trip recently, I had a rare stroke of genius.

There have been a number of discussions about how to transfer fresh water from a container into the on-board fresh water tank. Among the ideas:

- a funnel, by itself or attached to an elbow and pipe
- a drill operated pump
- an electric bilge pump
- a hand pump

My solution was to use the same fresh water pump that is installed in the TM, like this one:
https://www.americanrvcompany.com/Sh...r-RV_p_39.html

...temporarily hook it onto a stirrup on the outside, run a wire under the velcro flap to plug it into the cigarette lighter, and run 2 hoses -- one into the TM water tank, the other into the portable container.

About the 20th time I was going this on our trip, I was thinking.....wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to get the pump out and set it up every time? Why not install the pump INSIDE the TM?

Therein lies the ultimate solution.

1) install a pump like the one above into the TM, near the fresh water tank. You could also use the existing factory-installed pump and install valves on either end of the pump, but installing an additional pump makes the operation brainless.

2) a major benefit of these pumps is that they are self-priming, at least up to 6-feet. So, make a good size hole in the wall of your TM near where the pump will be, and mount a city water flange like this one:

http://www.adventurerv.net/products-...te-p-1989.html

...and connect it to the intake side of the pump. I'd mount it as close to the floor as possible, and mount the pump as close to the flange as possible. On the output side of the pump, simply tee into the 1.5" fresh water fill hose that dumps into the tank.

3) install a switch, preferably a weatherproof one accessible from the outside of the TM where you will be bringing the water jugs to.

4) make a short section of hose to connect to the city water flange; on the other end, connect a length of 3/4" PVC pipe equal to the length of your deepest water container. Hoses curl and make it difficult to pump water from the bottom of a container. I connected my pipe to the hose with a PVC union and hose barb w/pipe threads so I can easily remove it between uses, making the hose/pipe less awkward for storage.

Given that the fresh water tank is under the kitchen sink, I will have to get creative as to where I install it. But for those with their water tank under a dinette seat, installation should be a breeze.

Now transferring fresh water should be effortless. Bring the water container to the TM, connect the hose to the new water flange, flip the switch, and you're done!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote