TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
Bob&Karen

Default Water Heater

Replaced the electric heater element in our TM yesterday. Had to take the burner tube off in order to get to that element. First question - I take it that it doesn't matter which wire (black or white) attached to which post on the new element? They weren't marked in any way.

Secondly, I reattached the burner tube to the gas line and wanted to check for potential issues so I turned on the propane and lit the stove momentarily to get the propane in the lines at least a little closer to the water heater. When I turned on the switch to light the water heater - nothing. Is that system tied to the bathroom wall switch? If so, that's why it wouldn't fire up as I didn't set it up completely.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
rumbleweed

Yes the WH ignition switch is in series with the bathroom wall switch. Keep in mind that if the propane line was disconnected, once you open the bathroom wall, it still make a few tries to get sufficient propane to the WH to keep it lit.
There is a good diagram of the of the electrical connections in the TM manual. If you did not get one, PM me and I will scan and send to you. It is also on the forum, if you search,
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Gary&Mary

There is no polarity on the water heater element. Hook it up either way.

Gary
Old 04-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Bob&Karen

Bob - that's kinda what I thought when the switch wouldn't even illuminate. Guess I'll light it next time out with the understanding that it may take a little while to purge all the air out of the lines - thanks for the info!

Gary - Thanks for the response! I knew there weren't any polarity markings on either the new one or the old one so I just hooked it up and was going to hope for the best...

Regards to all,

Bob