TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
LiveTicker

Default idea: Boondock with A/C and a LIGHT TINY CHEAP GENERATOR

I want to do some dry camping where the afternoons get alittle too warm.
ReThinking the problem - why not bring a small window AC? Then I can bring a little 800 watt generator!

I don't really need the roof 13500btu air conditioner all day long.
So I don't need a heavy $1000.00+ 2500watt generator to run the TM roof AC.

My April 2010 Highways magazine had a $79.99 coupon at Harbor Freight for a 42lbs 800watt/900surge generator - so I bought one.
This should run a small $99-$199 5000btu-6500btu AC. (The units with remote control are worth the extra $, IMHO).
For example I found a 48lbs 6500btu AC on the internet with requirements of Input Power: 607 Watts (Amps: 5.0).
(Used window ACs can be found cheap at garage sales, craigslist and auctions.)
Alternate AC idea: Evaporative (swamp) cooler - needs water but doesn't take as much power. I hate them.IMHO.

Also bring 12v or 120v fan inside to move air and make it feel cooler inside.

Where to put the AC:
  1. Outside on shelf or table made to hold at window height against screen. Or maybe hang with ropes over the roof.
  2. Anyplace inside hanging the backend over the large shell gap.
  3. Pull front bed in about 6" and set AC with backend hanging over the gap.
    • For 2 & 3 above:
    • Put cardboard or whatever over hind end of AC to seal top and sides.
    • Also cover extra gap with mattress/cardboard/whatever.
    • Put a small fan outside blowing up the AC outside coils to help cooling.
    • Remember there is a humidity drain in back.
  4. Outside again but unlike #2&3 - duct the cold and return air into TM. For occasional use cardboard or plastic bags can make ducts.
  5. Your ideas?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
RogerR

Do you really want to burden your camper with another 40 to 50 pounds of weight, take up the space and time to set up the air conditioner?

Also, mini generators like the one for 69 aren't very efficient, are loud, don't hold up and don't run long on a tank of gas. I have one for trimming hedge and running small tools away from the house.

Additionally, air conditioners usually take a lot more watts on startup. Make sure you have plenty of excess capacity in your generator or it will kill it every time.

Try a search with "generator" there is a lot of information there.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
rumbleweed

If you run that Generator at most camp sites, you will be asked to leave as it is very noisy and most likely doesn't meet fire prevention requirements. Check the requirements in your state . park for generator requirements,
Old 05-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

The older TMs (like mine) came with a 7,000BTU window AC unit. They weren't very effective. When I installed mine, I put in a 10,000BTU unit and it works pretty well but I've never had it in anything over about 95* and low humidity. In my opinion, a 5,000BTU AC unit would be next to useless unless it were blowing directly on you.

As far as cooling the camper....forget it. The AC unit would have to be very well installed, directly through a wall or window and well sealed. The camper would have to be practically air-tight (which isn't going to happen) for it to be felt at all.

If you took out the window in one of the bed areas and figured out a way to put the AC unit through that opening and seal it up. Then put a heavy privacy curtain on the inside of the trailer that would secure on both sides with Velcro, you might have a nice cool bedroom.

Remember air conditioning is not about introducing cold air. It is about removing hot air. In order for that to happen, it must operate in a sealed environment so that the air can be recirculated without further hot air being introduced.

BTW........for what it's worth, a Honda EU2000i (2,000W) generator is less than 50# and is VERY quiet http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...elid=EU2000IAN . It you watch craigslist, you can pick-up a good used one for about ~$750. http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/1719991596.html I see them for $650 every once in awhile. Whenever I do, I snap it up because I always have friends or family that want one at that price.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
lnussbau

Besides the above comments, I hope I never wind up in the same campground as one of those generators -- they're very loud, and it's a headache even in the daytime -- I don't want the city to come camping with me. Note that DW and I often take naps in the afternoon when we're camping, especially if we've done a morning hike or other strenuous activity. I suspect we're far from the only ones who do.

My Honda e2000i is quiet for a generator, but it's still noticeable inside the TM, even several sites away.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
AstroBruce

This link should help you along.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_aug20...onditioner.htm
Old 05-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
PopBeavers

Two thoughts:

1. LiveTicker, the OP, has not posted again.

2. He did say he was boon docking. That, I assume, means that no one is near him and he can make as much noise as he can tolerate.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Live Ticker is a Sponsor, not your typical drive-by troublemaker. He has posted only a dozen times, but most of his posts have been worthwhile. I'm not surprised he didn't post again - you guys ripped him pretty good. Not to say that you were wrong (you weren't, in my opinion), but it had to be discouraging for him.

And redneck as those vehicles may appear, it looks like the airco mounting was done right. The interior grill work (air intake and exhaust) was inside the vehicle, and the exterior grillwork (air intake and exhaust) was outside the vehicle, and the division between them was well sealed. I think this is what LiveTicker was trying to suggest.

Don't be too discouraged, Paul. C'mon back. Your choice of generator may not have been the best, but the overall concept may have some merit. Especially in your location, the dry western states, where humidity doesn't make the cooling job harder.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
CelestialBen

I called the manufacturer of the Roof A/C in my '07 2720SD. He said initial surge current can be as high as 2.5X the rated max. I did notice that some folks purchase a massive capacitor that smooths out this initial spike.

My '98 2619 had a home in-window unit cut into the exterior side wall next to the oven. Worked surprisingly well.

Pity my TV doesn't have a PTO - they make gensets for PTOs, and my Sorento is quieter than a Harbor Freight generator.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
rjlwork

We purchased the Champion generator at Tractor Supply (3500W & 65 db) for around $300.00 and used it for the Nascar race at Indianapolis last month. Granted, everyone is running one and it's not as quiet as the Honda. It did run a full 12 hours on a 4 gallon tank and we used the AC the whole 12 hours in the evening into morning.

The big 5th wheel next to us used the Honda dual generator setup and it wasn't that much quieter than ours. I understand the desire for quiet, but would assume also that boondocking would mean no one else was near or that they too were using generator power at sometime during their stay.

We were extremely happy with our Champion and added rails on the tongue to haul it in front of the TM, so no fumes in the trailer.

Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous