TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default 1st week in the TM

Our first trip with the TM was about 1100 miles over five days. This was coming off almost 19000 miles to Alaska and back in a pop-up. We towed the TM from the dealer to the campground, about 30 miles. Spent three days boondocking. The only thing Rocky Creek has is an outhouse and a water source in the middle of the campground. The only problem was getting the shells latched. Next stop was about 200 miles from Ft Worth in LA at a nice state park. They were redoing their water system so didn't use that but did check out the electrical. Time to break camp was about the same as with the pop-up. Still don't quite have the hang of the latches. Third stop was in MS mostly back roads. Fixed tail lights that had quit working. Getting better at the latching. Fourth stop was at Falling Waters SP in Florida. Middle of October so ran the AC. Got the latching down pat just jump from the ladder to the stirrup.
Can't wait for our next trip in our new TM.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
MisterP

Just curious if you have foam on top of your TM mattresses. The shells should not be that hard to close. Remember that anything added to the beds presses against the ceiling lights and also adds pressure to the latches. I use one inch foam and only have to press down with my foot to latch.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
rumbleweed

What's the ladder for?
Old 11-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
Just curious if you have foam on top of your TM mattresses. The shells should not be that hard to close. Remember that anything added to the beds presses against the ceiling lights and also adds pressure to the latches. I use one inch foam and only have to press down with my foot to latch.
Nothing on the bed. When the salesman and the tech at the dealer gave us the walk through it was more then just step on the stirrup. But then this is offset by almost no effort to open the TM.

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
What's the ladder for?
rumbleweed at 5' 11" I can't reach anything on top of the camper with out a ladder. We always carry a two step with us. Also use it to get
all those little pieces of rope that people leave from putting up tarps. If I could splice all the 3" pieces I cut down on this last trip we would have close to a thousand feet of rope.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

I guess it's a trade off, our 2720sl has always been fairly easy to latch on closing and the rear shell has always been easy to open -- but the front shell was fairly hard to open when we first got it. I adjusted the front shell torsion bars and now the front open much better. It did not affect the closing at all.

Tim
Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
T and C
TrailManor Master

Folks,

I also use a two step ladder for latching. On our second outing I stepped up off the ground into the stirrup and gave a couple of hops. Something went "pop" in my calf. I guess I was working my ankle to increase the downward force.

Two visits to the doctor and 4 weeks of light walking only later, I decided to use the ladder. It seems to work well since you are stepping down into the stirrup.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
rumbleweed

Nice idea on the "rope removal" Another great tool to carry is an extending paint roller pole with the head of a 8" to 10" car squeegee on it. Comes in very handy for cleaning off the awning ( removing acorns and small twigs ) before rolling up and for cleaning off the rear shell top after lowering ( mainly the portion that is covered by the front shell when closed).
Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
TravlinOn

Default Scrubjaynest - latches

Scrubjaynest: “… Still don't quite have the hang of the latches.”

And here I thought that I was the only one. Over Thanksgiving, we made a third trip. We have been going to a local County Park here in south Florida for short trips in order to develop timing and skills. Most people, those who do not live on the east coast of FL in the winter, don’t realize just how much we become a Canadian province during those months of cold weather up north. Fine with me, but back to my story.

We arrived and set up with no problems. We have a TM3326 with a king bed in the rear and a couch in the front, both of which I have learned to crawl onto when deemed necessary (frequently). I have learned not to leave anything on the mattress, where to place the “sofa-chair”, etc..

Our latch on the door side of the rear shell has always been difficult to latch but usually my weight on the “stirrup” was sufficient to accomplish the task. NOT THIS TIME, however. So, I grunted and groaned, folded and refolded, climbed in and out, nothing on the bed (not even a curtain), no nothing in the way that I could see.

About then, my far side neighbor and his wife, mostly French-only speaking Canadian with maybe a ten word American vocabulary, me mostly a polite-only speaking American with maybe a ten word French vocabulary, came to assist. So, we all grunted and groaned, folded and refolded, while I climbed in and out, still nothing on the bed (not even a curtain), no nothing in the way that I could see.

Canadians are a social people. Within 10 minutes, I literally had a crowd of helpers. I can honestly say that my roof is now known to be able to support up to 600 pounds (not advisable), but still, no success. I heard a lot of chatter, all in French, with an occasional "Hi-Lo" mixed in - I didn't correct them. I am a loyal TM owner.

Then, it latched. Why??? I still have no idea why.

The latch plate itself is adjustable with two bolts to hold it. My trailer’s previous owner apparently adjusted the plate as much as can be done to assist the problem; ie. in order to make it possible for the method of standing in the stirrup to make it latch as it should. I think I will try to file about an eighth off in the bolt slots in order for me to push the plate upward a little to meet the latch itself.

My thanks to Canadian campers everywhere!!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Nice idea on the "rope removal" Another great tool to carry is an extending paint roller pole with the head of a 8" to 10" car squeegee on it. Comes in very handy for cleaning off the awning ( removing acorns and small twigs ) before rolling up and for cleaning off the rear shell top after lowering ( mainly the portion that is covered by the front shell when closed).
I keep one of these mounted in the bed of my truck. It comes with a brush attachment:

http://www.reache-z.com/