TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Default Dog steps

Just wondering if anyone else is goofy enough to try to find a way to help a dog get on the back bed

Both of my dogs are pretty good sized but still have a challenge hopping onto and worse, off of the back bed. I'm afraid they'll get hurt . . .

I have looked on line and have found foam steps, pvc steps, wooden steps, pretty much you name it. They all seem to have some issue that just won't work so here I am, once again, asking for help!

Thanks, Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
rumbleweed

We have the same problems ( especially with getting off). I have looked at several pet steps but they are either too small or too bulky. What we have found that works is we purchased an ottoman at K-Mart that matches the chair in our 2720SL. When we get ready for bed, we move it over by the back bed and put a cover on it. Its height is about half the difference between the bed and the floor and our 80Lb boxer can get on and off the bed on his own. It does block the bottom two drawers, but not the bathroom door. Once we are up for the day, we move it back to the other end by the sofa.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Well, that is by far the best idea I've come across! We don't have a sofa but could slide it under the dining table during the day or put it up on the bed. Your idea doesn't have any of the "can't live with that" problems that we have been running into. We aren't getting any younger either and this plan wouldn't be all that bad for us either

Thanks so much. Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE this forum?
Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
nonichris

We too have tried to figure out a method to get dogs and mother in law up on back bed...we even bought some foldable metal pet steps that were expensive, and then found that they interfered with the bathroom door. One solution that we use are the stackable foam mats that we purchase at Harbor Freight. They are 24 inches square and less than 1/2 inch thick, and are very inexpensive...so we purchased a bunch of them and strapped them together in various ways to help the dogs in and out of the car. They could be stacked any height you like, and could be trimmed down easily enough, even cut in half to make a step in front of the bed. They are very light weight and easily moved around...These mats have been a workable solution for us and when and if Mother in Law camps with us could be easily added...they can even be thrown outside as they are rain proof.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
rumbleweed

Malinda

Forgot to mention that the ottoman has a removable top with storage inside. I keep my TV and associated cables in it.

Here is a link to the one we got.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...torage+ottoman
Old 10-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Thanks so much for the great ideas. I think I'll go with that ottoman so we can use the room it takes up for storage. Love the idea of putting the television in it. Funny, I had actually kind of zeroed in on that ottoman before you posted the link.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Carol C

I bought a fold up step ladder, both the dogs and I use it. It was really pretty easy to teach them to step up it, just like steps. During the day, I fold it against the wall out of the way.

Carol Cl