TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I just came across these on eBay. I have NO idea if they are any good or not, so take it for what it's worth. For $20, I figured that I couldn't go too far wrong.

These do not read out a constant tire pressure. They only warn you when the pressure gets low. I have no real desire to "Monitor" my tire pressure anyway. I just want to know if I have a sudden pressure loss on the trailer. You could drive quite a long distance without even knowing that you had a blow-out. This should warn me if I have low pressure or a blow-out and that's all I want.

I'll let you know how they work when I get them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SECUT...item563ac1b47a
Old 03-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebay Ad
Works on cars that have a normal tire pressure of 35-50psi. Sounds alarm at 28 psi.
Wonder If It Will Work On Tires Where A Higher Max Pressure Is Used??
Old 03-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
Wonder If It Will Work On Tires Where A Higher Max Pressure Is Used??
If I get an alarm @ 28#, I'm very happy with that.

All I care about is if I get a nail in the tire and the air leaks out while on the road or if I have a blow-out. I don't mind checking the pressure before I leave.

The thing that I want to avoid is having some guy pull along side of me honking his horn....then pulling over to find the tire shredded and the plumbing (and other stuff) damaged on the TM.

You really can't feel when the tire goes on the trailer, in most cases.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
gocntry

The Part About The 50# Is I'm Running The 15" Marathons With 60# In Them

I Wonder If That Will Set An Alarm Also??
Old 03-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
The Part About The 50# Is I'm Running The 15" Marathons With 60# In Them

I Wonder If That Will Set An Alarm Also??
I couldn't find much more info on these things. When I receive them, I'll post all the specs.

I have the same concern...... that the things may blow apart (or something) @ higher pressure. My TM tires are 50# cold but I'm sure that they are much higher when they are hot. I just figured.....for $20.......I'll put it on the car if it is risky on the trailer.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Having had a blowout on the TM, I can tell you that it would difficult to not notice it. The TM handles pretty well for a single axle trailer with a flat tire, but I think you'd have to be asleep to not notice. Or at least that was my experience that one time.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

In my experience, this is not always the case, largely because, as you say, the TM handles so well. On our first blowout, I heard the loud "POP!", and recognized the sound. On another occasion, I happened to look back in the mirror and see smoke from the tire. Another motorist flagged me on a third occasion. On another, I felt the trailer pull to the side, as we were rounding a sharp curve when it happened - this was quite noticable. I've forgotten what the fifth one felt like. But depending, I guess, on the type of failure - instant blowout, slow leak, tread toss - there seem to be varying degrees of action reflected up to the driver.

Just my experience.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Having had a blowout on the TM, I can tell you that it would difficult to not notice it. The TM handles pretty well for a single axle trailer with a flat tire, but I think you'd have to be asleep to not notice. Or at least that was my experience that one time.

Dave
Dave,

What you don't know (I assume) is how long the tire was below 25PSI or how far you drove (below 25PSI) before the tire blew.......

If you would have had some warning that the tire was low. there is a pretty good chance that a blow out may have been avoided........assuming that it was not an instantaneous, catastrophic failure.......which would be rare, IMHO....
Old 03-30-2010, 05:34 AM   #9
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
On our first blowout, I heard the loud "POP!"....On another occasion.... Another motorist flagged me on a third occasion...... On another, I felt the trailer pull to the side.... I've forgotten what the fifth one felt like. Bill
5 Blowouts?? Were All These On Your TM? Any With The 15" Tires Or All On The 14"?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #10
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Dave,

What you don't know (I assume) is how long the tire was below 25PSI or how far you drove (below 25PSI) before the tire blew.......

If you would have had some warning that the tire was low. there is a pretty good chance that a blow out may have been avoided........assuming that it was not an instantaneous, catastrophic failure.......which would be rare, IMHO....
That is exactly the reason that I run a TPMS. If the tire blows out from 50 lbs., then you don't have a warning until the tire blows.....but the TPMS should immediately warn you to pull over. But, I wonder how many of those "blowouts" are actually a low tire over many miles finally giving up the ghost ?? Or if just before a actual blowout, the tire pressure goes down 10 pounds or so as a pre-warning? A TPMS should definitely help with the last 2 scenarios, and get you off the road quicker in the 1st if you don't hear or see the problem.