TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #31
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We love Jiffy pop too!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #32
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Bobby -

Those Jiffy Pop things don't hold a fire to the Whirley Pop machine. Jiffy Pops are inconsistent, at least in my experience (and maybe I just never got the technique down), and it was hard not to get them to burn. And when you're successful in producing a tasteful product, there's usually a TON of unpopped kernels. The Whirley Pop is simple, easy, and has perfect results every time, with nice fluffy popcorn. Then season to taste.

I'm guessing the "crud" in the muffin man machine is probably minerals - that's what you get when you distill water. Spring or filtered water may help, and will certainly be better than well water, but if you want ZERO crud, buy a $1.50 gallon of distilled water at the grocery store. It has virtually no mineral content, and should boil dry while leaving no residue.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #33
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Bobby -

Those Jiffy Pop things don't hold a fire to the Whirley Pop machine. Jiffy Pops are inconsistent, at least in my experience (and maybe I just never got the technique down), and it was hard not to get them to burn. And when you're successful in producing a tasteful product, there's usually a TON of unpopped kernels. The Whirley Pop is simple, easy, and has perfect results every time, with nice fluffy popcorn. Then season to taste.

I'm guessing the "crud" in the muffin man machine is probably minerals - that's what you get when you distill water. Spring or filtered water may help, and will certainly be better than well water, but if you want ZERO crud, buy a $1.50 gallon of distilled water at the grocery store. It has virtually no mineral content, and should boil dry while leaving no residue.

Dave
Yeah, the same thing happens with me and jiffy pop....and I was just kinda being silly with my response. We actually have one of those replica popcorn machines in our house that we bought at Sam's Club that has a kettle in it that works just like the Whirley Pop.

I have been going to a local wholesaler that sells case quantity items (even to the general public), that you see in stores, as well as supplies for store popcorn, hotdog, & snow cone machines.

They sell a popcorn pak from Great Western, that has the oil, popcorn, seasoning all pre-measured and packed together. You just pour all the contents into the kettle/whirley pop and you have great tasting yellow movie popcorn. You can get different paks according to the size of your kettle.

My kettle takes the 4oz size, but I buy the 8oz ones and use half each time. It's like $17 for a case of 24 bags (or 48 the way I do it). I can't get them off the internet for that price.

Just something to think about, as I'm sure everyone has a wholesale store like this nearby. It is some real good popcorn.

http://www.gwproducts.com/dualpack/

Dave, now you've made me go want to pop some up.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #34
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Bobby - The Whirley Pop folks sell the same kind of packets. In fact, that company you posted a link to does private label sales, so Whirley Pop may even buy them there. Good stuff.....although if you just use oil and kernels, the popper doesn't even have to be cleaned -- you just wipe it out. Very handy while camping, not as big a deal while home obviously.

I think if I watched a movie before breakfast, I'd still have to have popcorn.

Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #35
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
We found using filtered water helps reduce the "crud" buildup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Thanks for that tip. I will definitely try it.
If filtered water helps then distilled water should eliminate it.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #36
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
But upon browsing Amazon a bit, I came across these "poach pods":

http://www.amazon.com/Fusionbrands-P.../dp/B000P6FD3I

Nifty. I can poach eggs just fine in water & vinegar, but the egg is more of a ball shape, which, while perfect for eggs benedict, is not desired for an egg sandwich. I may have to try these things -- seems like they have good reviews.
Just tried these this morning -- awesome! If my new stovetop toaster tests out well in a few weeks, these are going to become a TM staple. Much better than a fried egg for an egg sandwich.

Dave
Old 09-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #37
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We have poached eggs twice and they were great. It was easy to get the medium style I wanted. Have had some difficulty with the toaster part. I may send this back.

There is a lot to be said about small and simple like the poach pods. I may have to give these another try.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #38
Beak12

stovetop toaster --------??????
Old 09-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #39
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

See this thread:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8020
Old 10-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #40
JamKat+Fam

My "must-have" is an electric skillet. I'm definitely a gal who likes her electricity when camping. I can make pancakes, eggs, bacon, grilled cheese, dirty rice, stir-fry, etc in it. I also think you can do biscuits and cakes in it but I haven't tried those yet.

Oh, and another vote for fried bread (which you can do in the aforementioned electric skillet). Yum. We have one of the 4 slice pop-up toasters that goes over the burner. It was maybe $5 at Bass Pro or Walmart. I'd say even if it gets rusty in 10 years, that's a pretty good amortization. Oh, and we don't wash ours, just dust the crumbs off and store. It's only about 2 years old so no signs of rust yet.