TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Cowboy Cody

Default Unknown Orange Wire hanging near gray water tank

While installing my lift kit I noticed an orange wire with a round connector dangling from a group of wires. There are three connection studs mounted to the gray water tank. The wire is long enough to go most any of the studs. I am not sure what it is for. Would anyone know what this for? I do not have any problems with anything working properly. I have I noticed that one of the taillights is brighter then the other. Could it be this orange needs to connect to one of the studs?
Thanks in advance
Cowboy Cody
2002, 2720 SL
Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Cody View Post
While installing my lift kit I noticed an orange wire with a round connector dangling from a group of wires. There are three connection studs mounted to the gray water tank. The wire is long enough to go most any of the studs. I am not sure what it is for. Would anyone know what this for? I do not have any problems with anything working properly. I have I noticed that one of the taillights is brighter then the other. Could it be this orange needs to connect to one of the studs?
Thanks in advance
Cowboy Cody
2002, 2720 SL
I believe that the wires connected to the gray water tank have to do with measuring the amount of liquid in the tank and displaying it on the guage under the sink. It is inaccurate on my trailer.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
Freedom

Many times the wiring looms have extra wires that aren't used. Maybe a different model uses the orange wire. On your car there are probably numerous wires that don't go to anything because the wiring loom is used on all kinds of models and accessory packages. It is not advisable to hook up these wires if you aren't absolutely sure where they go. I would just tape your extra wire up so it can't make contact with any metal, and out of the way since you state that everything works.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cowboy -

Does each stud on the gray water tank have a wire on it?

This is certainly NOT related to the taillights.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cowboy -

I crawled under my TM to check. There are 4 studs on the rear face of the tank. Each stud has one wire. The orange wire is on the stud closest to the curb.

If you have only three studs, then one is missing. Apparently the assembly guy didn't know what to do with the orange wire, so he let it hang. This shouldn't be a difficult fix. Call the factory and ask them how to do it

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Cowboy Cody

Red face Unknow orange wire

All, Thank you for your reply! I just look under the TM. Bill; yes there are four studs. The driver’s side has a larger white wire the next a yellow wire then a green wire. The last is empty and the length would indicate the orange wire would or should be connected there. Do you recommend I connect the orange wire to the empty stud? (Curbside)side)
Thanks,
Kind regards,
Cowboy Cody
Old 06-23-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Cowboy Cody

Bill, do you why one taillight would be brighter then the other? Is this a bulb issue, or ground issue ??
Thanks,
Cowboy Cody
Old 06-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Cody View Post
Bill, do you why one taillight would be brighter then the other? Is this a bulb issue, or ground issue ??
Thanks,
Cowboy Cody
Is the same bulb in both taillight fixtures?
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
Cowboy Cody

Tim, I don't know, I will check the next time I pull the unit out of the garage. I did look at this last time around, but the number was worn off the weaker of the two bulbs. I guess just replacing both bulbs at once would answer the question
Kind regards,
CBC
Old 06-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
Freedom

Usually when one bulb is dimmer than the other it is a ground problem. The bulbs depend on the skin of the trailer for ground and if it's corroded or the screw is loose or the connection to the bulb is loose or corroded the bulb will be dim. check the screws that hold the taillight fixture to the TM. Some times you have to run a wire from one screw to the other to re-establish a good ground. Other times it can be cured by putting in a larger screw. Look for obvious things, too - like one bulb is blackened or hazed. It's already been mentioned - an 1157 and a 1034 may not be the same brightness. There are now even more bulbs that will fit the application 2357 comes to mind - basically a long life 1157. I would first check that the bulbs are the same and then look for bad grounds.