TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-11-2022, 08:23 AM   #11
coralcruze

Again... many thanks @kidkraz for confirming what I was seeing. I appreciate all the help.
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:03 AM   #12
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

There are any number of reasons the drain line wasn't place on the bottom of a water tank, cost being one that hits most folks first.
Then I get to wondering how big of a hole in the floor do I cut. Can the tank shift enough to snap off the fitting that was welded, screwed, or glued on to the tank. What happens if the person who drilled the hole is off centered of where the drain will sit? I could go on for way too long.
The tank manufacturer makes a product to fit hundreds if not thousands of potential buyers. They can make one that would fit your needs or desires, but you will have to pay that specific cost. I for one am happy to adjust my maintenance procedures so that I don't have to pay a high cost, just so my tank drains dry.
You have an access port, use it. The tank doesn't need to be emptied daily, water can sit to the end of your camping season.
As to the water drains, they're generic fittings.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=camper+low...=v314-1&ia=web
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:38 AM   #13
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
There are any number of reasons the drain line wasn't place on the bottom of a water tank, cost being one that hits most folks first.
Then I get to wondering how big of a hole in the floor do I cut. Can the tank shift enough to snap off the fitting that was welded, screwed, or glued on to the tank. What happens if the person who drilled the hole is off centered of where the drain will sit? I could go on for way too long.
The tank manufacturer makes a product to fit hundreds if not thousands of potential buyers. They can make one that would fit your needs or desires, but you will have to pay that specific cost. I for one am happy to adjust my maintenance procedures so that I don't have to pay a high cost, just so my tank drains dry.
You have an access port, use it. The tank doesn't need to be emptied daily, water can sit to the end of your camping season.
As to the water drains, they're generic fittings.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=camper+low...=v314-1&ia=web
Hmnnn I don't see how cost would go up on this? The same hole that TM drilled for the existing tank plumbing would need to be drilled, just under the tank not on the side.. The same fittings would need to be used, just under the tank not on the side. AND... these tanks can be ordered directly from the manufacturer with whatever drain already welded to the tank at whatever location you so desire. It just takes a little bit of thinking through and designing a system that makes sense. The way it was done in the TM does NOT make sense even though it may not need to be emptied daily does not mean that standing water is in any way a healthy thing. I may disagree on how often this tank should be drained and cleaned out. Mold spors is pretty hazardous to your health and will develop in days not weeks or months.

Below are a few pics of another personal project I did not long ago and ordered this tank without any drains as it needed custome application and drains with 100% sertainty it will never leak. To me this fumble is no big deal tank can/must be corrected if you know how to work with a tank like this. It would just be nice if the drain was on the bottom and we wouldn't have to cut port holes to compensate. That's all. As I move through the reno on my TM I am noticing a good number of shortfalls like this and there really isn't any good reason for it and believe that most are still done incorrectly today. TM cuts a 4" drain hole for the black pipe, 1.5" holes for the sink drain and vent, a 4" refrigerator vent and several propane and wiring port holes all drilled in the floors. To make one more .5" hole for a fresh water tank drain would not be a big deal for TM. BUT you are correct... the tank should have been zecured to the floor to insure it does not move. Another thing that needs to be done after the fact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210415_173121.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	21178   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_003018.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	21179   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_151217.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	21180  
Old 07-11-2022, 10:17 AM   #14
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
100% thank you but I think I will stick to architecture.
Cool deal. Just don’t cut any corners to save money.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:49 AM   #15
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Cool deal. Just don’t cut any corners to save money.
Nothing wrong with saving money where possible. It's the cutting corners that I personally do not do especially when there is absolutely no reason to. In this case it costs the same to drill the bottom of the tank than it does to drill the side. Same parts same labor same everything... but yeah they did cut corners and not install a tank strap or tank reinforcement. If you take a peek at my pics you will notice a nice aluminum bar belly bulge reinforcement that ALL manufacturers require with these monolithic one piece tanks. Yeah no strap or reinforcement in TM. Guess that will be going in next. Thank goodness on my TM me and previouse owners never boondocked or I would have needed to replace this tank also. SMH
Old 07-11-2022, 11:12 AM   #16
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Just a thought.... Maybe the drain is on the side so that sentiment doesn't go into the system..... Or am I a dope?
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:53 AM   #17
popeye
Site Sponsor

A gutted out schrader valve (tire) makes a good hose nipple.
Only needs a small hole, even has a cap.
But it pulls through from inside.
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:18 PM   #18
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmikesell View Post
Just a thought.... Maybe the drain is on the side so that sentiment doesn't go into the system..... Or am I a dope?
The pump Inlet needs to be on the side for the reaso. You mentioned. The drain should be on the bottom of the tank so it fully drains.