TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #1
Cmd1v3r

Default Traveling with Electra Magic toilet valve open.

I am learning from the forum all the time, and have a question about traveling with the Electra Magic toilet valve open. So far, in the few trips we've done in our 2720 SL, we have been in parks with full hookups. So I have opened the toilet valve to allow the black water to empty from the EM, then opened the black water valve on the outside at the end of our stay. I then thoroughly rinse, and close the TM

First question, the EM, when about 3/4 full, seems to empty completely when I open the inside valve (with the outside valve still closed). So there appears to be "some" holding capacity in the black water system. Otherwise, where is the black water going when the outside valve is still closed. Anyone know if I can empty a full tank with the outside valve still closed? Or what the capacity is in the black water system? Or is enough black water emptying, just to fill up the short line to the outside valve and then the balance sitting in the EM holding tank until the outside valve is opened?

Secondly, I will be dry camping with it for the first time this weekend. When heading home, since the TM will be closed up when I arrive at the dump station I know I need to open the inside valve prior to closing the TM. With the capacity for the black water system to hold at least some of the black water, should I close the inside valve after emptying the EM? We will be traveling "very slowly" over some deep potholes and ruts and I am concerned about back splashing out if the inside valve is still open. If I close it, will the black water system empty properly when I attempt to drain it at the dump station? I am concerned that without the inside valve being open, the waste water won't have a reason to empty. Sort of like not opening the basin and tub water valves when draining the fresh water lines. Do I have anything to worry about? How should I handle this situation.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/information.
David
Cmd1v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

hello david
lets see if I can help, when you pull the slide valve on the thetford , only about 1 to 1/12 gal goes into the pipe, so the rest is still in thetford tank. so no, it does not empty all the way, but like others, if it is full you can pull valve and buy a little more room,
I have never had a splash or slosh out will traveling to dump station with valve open, just close the lid for extra safety , but I guess if it was full enough and road rough enough, anything can happen though, just never heard of it happing before.
hope this helps.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

David -

I think you may be making this more complicated than it has to be.

The Electra Magic's holding tank has a nominal capacity of 6 gallons. When it has 6 gallons in it, it is REALLY full, and I wouldn't try to move the TM in this situation.

The plumbing below the Electra Magic, between it and the outside valve, has a capacity of about a gallon. So if you fill the toilet to a full 6 gallons, and then pull the inside valve, the toilet will be left with about 5 gallons in it. In this situation, you can travel, but as you say, really gently and slowly. To avoid splash, some folks raise the seat and stretch plastic wrap over the bowl.

When you are ready to leave the campsite, it is OK to pull the valve on the toilet, then close the TM and drive to the dump station. Once there, attach the drain hose, and pull the valve under the trailer. This will completely empty the toilet and the plumbing below it. When it is drained, close the outside valve, remove the hose, and you can drive away. No need to open the TM at the dump station. Of course, you have not rinsed the toilet, so sometime in the next couple days, you should open the TM, close the valve on the toilet, rinse thoroughly, then dump again as above. When you are done, close both valves simply so their rubber seals don't dry out and malform.

Hope this helps. If I have missed something, ask again.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
davlin
TrailManor Master

David,

I read through your questions once; sometimes that's not enough for me, so if I don't fully answer your questions, try again.

First, always check and make sure that your outside black water valve is closed before pulling the inside valve on your toilet. This may save you a very messy situation.

When you pull the inside valve, the contents of your toilet can then flow down the 3" drain pipe to the outside drain valve. Because of the length and diameter of this pipe, you have an "extra capacity" of about 1 gallon in the pipe. This is why your float gauge goes down slightly when you pull the inside valve. It is perfectly OK to operate your toilet with the inside drain valve pulled, assuming that there is enough content in the toilet (past the "charge" indicator on the gauge) to properly flush.

You must leave your inside valve open to dump your toilet. If you close the inside valve first, and then pull the outside valve, you will only be dumping the contents that were in the pipe. Once you dump, you do not need to open the TM and close the inside valve. You can travel with inside valve open AFTER dumping. I do not recommend traveling beyond the closest dump station with a full toilet and the inside valve open. Should you have damage to your outside valve while traveling, you will spill the contents all over the roadway.

Finally, (I think) is the issue of traveling home with the toilet full. The infamous vinyl skirt is in the toilet only for this reason. It's purpose is to keep the contents inside the toilet bowl when you hit bumps, etc. while traveling. I've never seen anybody post that it didn't do its job in that capacity. Many of us though, have removed the skirt because it interferes with proper flushing, and over time gets smelly and dirty. I know if I HAVE to travel to the dump station with a full toilet, I need to stuff something down the throat of the toilet to keep it from splashing, but that's a small price to pay for getting rid of the ridiculous vinyl skirt.

Hope this helps,

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Davlin,

I heard about the toilet splashing if full. Is the issue with it splashing only if you made the mod of removed the vinyl skirt? We have not experienced any issues with it splashing or any issues that would make us think about removing the skirt. But we have always used the public toilets during the day and only use the camper toilet at night, so the majority of our use is #1.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
Cmd1v3r

Thank each and every one of you for the feedback. This is exactly the information I needed. Since this is out in the middle of nowhere, I think we might just use the Thetford for middle of the night #1, so as to not fill it up too much. I think I will also use the suggestions of stuffing something in the throat AND use the plastic wrap. At least until I find out first hand how my TM will behave over the roads I will be taking it on. Not only will there be many bumpy areas, but also a grade of (hard to estimate) possibly between 15 - 20% at times. Thanks again everyone.
Cmd1v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

The times we camped with the TM where there was not a dump. I did not fully fill the toilet with fresh water. I filled it until the pump had the full flushing action, which I think was about 1 gallon below the fill line and I did not refill the toilet with fresh water after opening the valve as we do if a dump station is nearby.

Most of the times we camped where there is no a dump, the next place we camp is a CG with a dump station a few hundred miles away. Once it was to our house after a CG without a dump, which required dumping into a bucket and several trip to the toilet in the house. Then re-filling the toilet, flushing several times and re-dumping. What a PIA. In the future, I think I will find a dump that I can pay to use.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Not sure this applies, but when we were out in the middle of nowhere, ie; dry camping, I dumped the Electramagic into an 11 gallon tote and then used the shortened modified hose I made to dump in the nearest vault toilet. Worked well, but the cassette we have in the new model is even easier.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
Is the issue with it splashing only if you made the mod of removed the vinyl skirt?
Art, we never took the skirt off of our toilet in our old 3326 (had it for 16 years) and never had any problems with splashing. The skirt works well to prevent that.

Unfortunately, the skirt also is notorious for restricting "stuff" from fully flushing, which sometimes requires a push to get a clog through the skirt and into the bowl. Over time, the skirt gets stained and dirty, and impossible to clean. It was truly a "hallelujah" moment when we finally removed it.

Of course, if you only use your Thetford for "#1," the issues with the skirt become much less meaningful. Ours is a "full service" toilet; like the toilet at home. For us, going to the campground toilet to "do your business" would be akin to driving from your home to the nearest gas station to poop.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
MT Camper

I bought a 6 gallon gray tote for use in dumping the toilet when no more than 1/2 full and dump another gallon of clean water thru the red hose and then take the tote to a vault toilet or flush one at the campground. I then re-charge the toilet and either dump again at 1/2 or just open the toilet valve and close camper when leaving the campground. As I stated this way the toilet is never full.

Last trip I dumped into tote at 1/2 full and disposed of as above, then on last day I hooked up the gray tote and opened the exterior valve and dumped into it and used another gallon of clean water to clean toilet and red hose. Tote was still only about 4-5 gallons. Then we stopped at the dump station and I dumped the tote, cleaned it and the short red hose I use with it using the hose provided and then hooked up the gray hose and dumped it also. This way I didn't worry about opening up the camper for a few days since we had company coming to our house.

This worked for me and is as close as I can get to a cassette for now. I use the smaller tote because I don't want to lift anything bigger and I don't like the toilet sitting longer than about 1/2 full for smell and in general knowing what it is.