TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
Riwright
TrailManor Master

Default Water pump mod question

There are some good threads that involve filling the camper while closed. There are others that describe installing a second water pump that is used to draw water from water jugs into the fresh water tank.

I would like to do mod that combines both functions.

I am looking at putting a city water inlet on the bottom of the camper. This would run to a second water pump and then to the fresh water fill hose. The pump would be switched.

For an unpressurized source such as a water jug I would attach a hose to the city water inlet, put it in the jug and turn on the pump.

My question has to do with operation with a pressurized source. I don't think that turning on the pump and sucking water out of the spigot would be a good idea. But would the pump allow the water to flow through when it wasn't turned on? I suppose it would just spin as the water went by but I'm not sure it would work this way.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
rumbleweed

Most of the small pumps are diaphragm operated and will not work well to pass water when not operating. Add the outside fitting with a hose connector for city water and the make the pump an add on between that fitting and the water jug when city water is not available. One thing to take into consideration is a sure fire method of knowing when the tank is full. My suggestion. Do the deck ( inspection ) plate mod to the tank, then add two nylon thru hulls at slightly different levels on the side of the tank near the top. The upper one could be attached to and external fitting under the TM and the lower one run thru the floor as an overflow when the tank is full.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

A simpler mod would be what I (and others) have done.

Find the thread on the "Ultimate Water Transfer" solution. It's a bridge that is installed in the plumbing that allows the existing pump to be optionally used to draw pressure at the existing city water inlet. Conversely, it can also be used in "stock"mode, for when you have a pressurized city source. This requires no additional thru-wall or floor modifications, just a pipe and a hose cut, inside the TM.

To fill the TM while the shells are down, if you've made that modification, you can add a hose attachment to the high-pressure drain under the TM, and utilize that and the bridge to fill the entire water supply of the camper, all with the shells down. Again, this is a minor, reversible modification.

Start at post #25: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...=bridge&page=3

Here's a picture of the mod for the drain: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...7&postcount=10
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I have done this mod, and it works great. Thanks to The Pair for thinking through the design and sourcing the parts for us!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote