TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
PopBeavers

I can visualize that. Two or three steps of an adequate size. Each step is either hinged to flip up or will lift off. The space underneath can be used as storage for light items.

If you can figure out where to put a pair of handles so that it can be lifted and be reasonable balanced then it would not be difficult to remove during the day, to access the rear cabinet, or to relocate for traveling.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
T and C
TrailManor Master

Of late, the DW has slept in the front bed and I sleep in the rear one. I always feel around with my foot to make sure I don't miss the step when I get up in the night for a "plumbing check" of the Thetford. I really don't want to break my 70 year-old leg, or worse.

If I were really concerned about missing the step, I would just spend a few more bucks at Camping World and get another folding step so there would be two of them, side by side.

That sure seems to be a lot simpler than a big modification project on the storage compartment door.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm thinking that trying to make the steps fold into the storage cabinet may make things harder than they have to be. Why not make it fold up flat onto the bed? I whomped up a quick sketch of another idea.

Basically, you build a conventional ladder, with three rungs. The bottom end rests on the floor; the top end is hinged, so it can swing over on top of the mattress (or under it - your choice).

Now make two flat stair treads, attached to each other on their sides with swing arms. Put hooks on the back of each, to hook over the rungs in the ladder. When you take them off the ladder, the treads fold down flat.

This diagram needs some tweaking, of course, but to me it is a quick idea that shouldn't be too hard to build.

Comments?

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladder.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	6876  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
klv5920

I have an old vanity bench I use to get up into the bed in back of our 3023. I sawed the legs off to a good height for me, recovered the seat. Works well for my dogs also. During the day, we use it as a foot stool between the couches. When we fold down, it goes upside down against the fold down table between the couches with other items on top of it.

Karen
Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Bill, it would have to be removable to fold down the TM, no? I have zero clearance on top of the mattress for closing this otherwise... I do like where you're going with this. I had to make something in 2 hours, so I went with the crate/board system. It's lightweight and I put things in the crates when folding down for transport.

But... I'd very much prefer something that flipped up and out of the way, it would facilitate getting to the storage underneath. I see how the strap hinges and sliding steps would flatten out when flipped up, that's nice.

I need to think about this some more. Nice.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

This is what we use and we bought it from Camping world in 2007 and it has held up well. It folds flat for storage. I have to move it EVERY time I want to go into the closet below my bed or into the dresser. It does have a large platform on the top. We bought it at the St. Augustine store. It is rated to 300 lbs. I think I paid about 17 or 18 dollars for it. I no longer see it on the on line Camping World store.

I did find in two ads on ebay. This was the best price per plus best shipping fee.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Z-FOLD-TWO...2#ht_500wt_969

I have often considered getting a different type of stool. I even looked at accordion folding steps but did not think the bed frame would support it.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I have considered purchasing a stool like this but for much less. This type is readily available at Walmart. The Tuesday Morning store has them for around 15.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Step-Big...ht_2149wt_1185

When we go camping later this month I might measure the height of my current step stool, the height of the bed and get the measurements of the stool I am considering.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Finally... this is the type of folding step I looked at...but decided that there was nothing to support it where it needed to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Camper-Trailer...327462&sr=8-34

My little mind is now chasing the thought of having the door hinged and of substantial material to support weight...that could fold down and out or out and down into two steps and then fold back to into a like a panel door that would look attractive when in the closed position. The door is so short I think it would need to be two layers when closed.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #19
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I have been doing origami...steps. Bill's idea is simple and I like it. Where I was thinking of making the door to the cabinet/closet a slider with the steps folding down after it is out of the way. All Tm's do not have the closet though...so I like Bill's idea better.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #20
ThePair
TrailManor Master

My troubles are probably requirements slightly different from others'. I need to make sure the dog can safely navigate the same steps, so they need to be wide and deep. Two steps, each riser ~ 14-15" or so, much larger than a person would comfortably want. What I have works, but is a complete hassle, something folding and hinged would be preferred.

Initially I was considering just essentially having the top half of the door fold down 90 degrees, and there's the step. But with a taller mattress, suddenly I find the requirements changing. I've seen some pet steps that accordion out like countrygirl posted, but for dogs, but the dimensions are way too long for that space. One could almost imagine the door as two louvers, pivoting upward to form the steps, with supports similar to Bill's idea on the sides. Folding it down would have it flat in the door's place, which would simply replace the existing door, so it would store there as well. Lift the bottom to deploy, or flip it all the way up to access storage.

Hm. need to think some more... if only I could do metalwork...or any significant woodwork. I think this is doable.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote