TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Like2Ride

Default TM Quality in 2010

I have read a lot of posts on this forum with a lot of good advice from a lot of smart people. What I don't understand is why the quality of TM is still so poor when you pay such a premium for the product. I bought my 2010 TrailMini and got a lot of training on the unit. The dealer did a great job with the training. It wasn't till I got home from the 5 hour drive from the dealer that I started seeing issues. Most of which would/should have been caught by even the most basic of Quality Control departments. Maybe it is just the economic downturn and they laid off the QC folks, or they are building product with all the parts at the bottom of the bin. I did post on the frame forum a photo of how the frame bent when I tried to jack it up, so there are design issues as well. I tried writing to TM directly over a month ago, and got no response. Now I am hoping that if we all take exception to the sloppy workmanship, maybe those that follow can just buy a new unit and start camping instead of start fixing.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
mtnguy

I an not familiar with the overall quality of the 2010 units, but with what I have seen on other years the quality of Trailmanor is much better that those of other RVs. When I was at the factory in Aug. 2008, I was impressed with the operation there. I also saw where they had a "hiring" sign up at the main road, and was told that they were having trouble finding workers for the line. If that is still going on, then that might contribute to some quality issues. Trailmanor should (and probably will) address your issues. I realize that a 5 hour drive will be a big inconvenience to remedy your issues.

Regarding your bent frame, I realize that is a concern. I am no structural engineer, but it appears that just the lip of the C frame is bent, and not the vertical part. This might affect the integrity of the frame slightly, but I betcha you will never have a problem with that. Trailmanor apparently uses a lighter frame on the TrailMini to keep down on the weight. If they used a tubular frame similar to the fold-down models, than that would add another 100 lbs. or so to the total weight. With no intention of faulting anyone, when I lifted the tubular framed Trailmanor and the I-beam frame on my current travel trailer, I distribute the weight of my bottle jack by placing a board between the jack and the frame. I betcha this is 1 of those learning lessons that won't happen again.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
rjlwork

We have a mini too. Our only "issue" to date was the kichen sink not being glued underneath. Looked like it was dry fitted and never glued. Our local dealer is new to TM, but had no trouble diagnosing or fixing the problem. We were only out 4 times before we put it into storage for the winter, but shakedown seems complete. My only question is if the Carrier AC was included in the recall. Haven't received any notice and all paperwork is in the mini, under cover for now.

Judy Workman
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous
Old 03-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Like2Ride

I do think there is something going wrong at TM - This is the list of what I remember that I found in the first month of ownwership.
1) The Factory installed radio - No reception - When I finally dunked a CD, only one speaker works. After searching the forum I found that several people had found the antenna disconnected at the left rear corner - not so on mine - no antenna wire in the bundle at all. Then I found that they just stuck a short white wire in the antena socket on the back of the radio and let it fall behind the fridge. I think the only way I am going to get any reception is to install an external antenna.
2) The kitchen drawers fell in. Turned out that they did not connect/support the back side of the drawer rails to anything. It just relies on the two staples in the front to hold the whole drawer assembly up. That didn't make the first 250 miles home.
3) Before connecting to site water supply, I purchased a water regulator, but when I turned on the camp site water, It started filling the compartment where the water tank resides. I was able to tighten connections and get it to stop leaking.
4) When we started to use the kitchen sink, we soon realized that the food in the cupboard underneath the sink was all wet. I tightened up all the drain connections and eventually got it to stop leaking. The drain is not centered in the sink hole, so I am sure I will be re-visiting this one.
5) The door on the electrical panel falls open every time you close the exterior door. Since it is next to the exterior door the chances of stepping on it and breaking it are great.
6) One of the vanity drawer fronts has a huge split lengthwise across the whole drawer.
7) The rear door does not line up unless you make the unit un-level. You need to torque it using the leveling jacks which makes the unit not level. Otherwise the latch between the upper and lower parts of the door doesn't connect right. The whole door frame is a mess - the holes where the latches go into the frame look like they used a can opener to make them (a great place to slice up a finger).
8) A number of holes in the floor that had little or no insulation. I do cold weather camping, so this is a concern especially when moving in freezing temps.
9) While I really like their overall design, there are some stupid things. I could not believe when I removed the outside frig cover looking for the radio problem, I notice that the cover frame is held on by several wood screws into small sticks of wood. Now many of us have probably done this type of temporary repair when we did not have the right screw and nut, but it is not something that I have ever considered permanent. The other design issue that was immediately evident was that when folded, the bathroom door hangs down and just bangs against the stationary part of the bath wall.
10) Probably the most agravating is when you take the time write an email to Customer Service at Trailmanor, and they don't respond at all, it is a sign of a company who does not value their customers.

While I can correct any of these (and I have corrected a number of them), the reason for my original post was to say that people buying new (at this time) need to have a dealer close by to finish assembling the unit. I still love the concept, I just wish they had more control over the quality of the product.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
AstroBruce

It's kinda hard to keep a trailer from falling apart, when everything inside is screwed to foam backed tinfoil.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Jim&Joan

I guess I am at once, sorry to hear about the issues folks seem to be having on recent TM products, but somehow glad I bought a used unit, ...I guess.

Hopefully you will remain around here and learn what the group has to offer. However, I do have to be honest and ask, "How could you have accepted delivery?" I get that some of the issues would only show up over time, but a whole lot of what you are pointing out seem positively 'walkthru spottable'.

I am not sure how you 'don't believe rust', but I am not sure that is a big deal overall. Those parts have been in place for most of the assembly, delivery to dealer, etc. When you pull it down the road, you will continously sandblast the under carriage and then probably pull in in wet conditions. The under rust will be a continous thing. All my TVs have rust underneath. I have not researched this, but I have had the thought that most surface coatings are going to have a tough time being effective on the torsion bars. These things are twisted and untwisted which distorts the surface of the rod. But, if that was a concern to you, why did you take delivery until you were satisfied?

I am not specifically familiar with the layout of your new unit, but the water issue, while certainly annoying for a new item, may not be too big a deal. I had a similar set of symptoms. (Granted we bought ours used. We took it with previous owner to a campground and ran up all the systems. So, this leak was known and negotiated, although not fixed, so I assumed risk.) It turned out to come from two sources. One was the exterior shower which had a loose fitting to the mixing valve. I could tell by the caulking that I wasn't the first one in there. There was still a leak. I was able to see it was coming from the bathroom tub faucet area. Again, it was a loose fitting. I was able to tilt the panel with the faucet out enough to tighten. This eliminated the leak. (The leak ran down the encolsed area and made the rear storage area wet and it leaked at the wall-floor seam from the exterior shower to the rear corner prior to the repair.) You certainly shouldn't have to fix it, not my point, but in my case, it was a couple of simple 'tighten the fitting' to fix.

Starting to sound like buying a trailer needs to be like buying a home, complete walk thru, hire an inspector, and hold a formal 'closing' to transfer funds after buyer acceptance of condition. (Course there's always going to be warranty things pop up.)

Even for new things and things under warranty, I'll often fix it myself because of experiences where things get made worse. As my friends and I like to say about working on our houses, "What's the difference between a homeowner and a professional? The homeowner cares!"

I hope you get all of your issues worked out in time to enjoy the upcoming spring. And I am really disheartened to hear of all of these issues.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Larryp1941

Default TM Quality

I was thinking similar thoughts about quality this weekend as I repaired the hinge apparatus on the folding wall of the bathroom. There was a 1x1 "L" frame attached to the wall to which the little shelf in the bathroom attached. The shelf had been attached by TM using 6 wire staples. Its a wonder they lasted as long as they did. The wall is now "screwed and glued" as it should have been originally.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
robertkennel

It really shouldn't be the customers ,of a brand new unit, responsibility to perform quality control but now it has become that way.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
rubydoodle

If you have a problem, call TM and ask for Ed. TM has had some hard times, like the rest of the RV industry, but I believe they will try to please their customers. Also, I believe they would want to know problems their customers encounter. I know yesterday when we were there, they had not receptionist. She had taken another job, and they had not replaced her yet. We have always been pleased with their response to our questions and their work.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
pacificstar

Ok after reading these posts I'm not so sure the make is for me! I value customer care and customer appreciation from a company. I do like to buy new if I can afford it and this isn't making me feel so great about paying this much for a trailer. Thanks folks.