TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
trisht

Cool Alternate 12V source

Would appreciate some input here from a resident 12V expert…

I just bought a Power Station unit (PSX). It's one of these all in one, road side assistance units. It has an internal battery that can be used to jump start a vehicle, drive an air compressor (up to 250 psi), or supply 12V output (up to 15A). http://www.amazon.com/PowerStation-M.../dp/B002YVU8WS (btw, this was much cheaper at Costco). The 12V port can be used to either power 12V appliances or to recharge the PSX internal battery if hooked to TV cig lighter.

Does anyone know if a 12V supply (i.e. this PSX unit when charged) were plugged into a TM 12V outlet if the PSX power could be used to drive other TM appliances? i.e. Would the 12V be distributed back through the system or would something get electrically damaged? Our TM has a WFCO Ultra III WF-8900 Series Power Center.

What I'm thinking of is, if in a pinch, this supply could be used for a short period of time to drive TM 12V appliances in the case where the TM batteries were drained. Thoughts? .

Old 05-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, except that the fuse for the outlet might blow, since it is sized for outlet type loads, not power supply loads.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
cochise

You can probably not use it as you describe. The load from PSX unit, if connected the way you say thru the 12V outlet of the TM, would go back thru the battery of the TM and you would loose a substantial amont of current as the PSX would try to charge the TM's battery. If on the other hand you disconnected the TM's battery and used the PSX instead it should work up to the fuse rated output.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Another alternative is to buy another 12-V battery that you could switch over to. We have an extra group-27 that we bought from Costco and bring along when we dry camp.

If you're very conservative with your lights and appliances, your battery may last you longer than you think. I think that the furnace will kill it faster than anything else. We never use it while dry camping. We replaced our most-used ceiling lights with flourescents and only use them sparingly. We all have led headlamps that we can wear around at night; that way your light source goes where you go.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
rumbleweed

Although it can start a car with a weak battery ( high current for a few seconds), the battery is most likely about 8Ahr at 12V. Even with the TM battery disconnected, you might get a ouple of hours of use in you TM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
RogerR

I always carry jumper cables. Either connect directly to the battery or take it out to connect if you battery is really flat. Kind of expensive fuel wise but better than not having use of the water pump and/or the heater.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
I think that the furnace will kill it faster than anything else. We never use it while dry camping.
B and D

We dry camp exclusively and run the furnace a lot. I don't know how you go without heating at night given how cool the nights can get here on the California coast. Are you making an extra effort to seal cracks in the TM or just doubling (tripling?) up on the long-underwear?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We don't use the heater at home much, either and we're used to the cool coastal air.

When we're camping, we dress warmly at night if we need to and have 35 degree rated sleeping bags for the kids and a down comforter for us in the TM. During the summer we don't find it necessary to wear anything extra warm or even use the down comforter at night, unless we're up in the Sierras and it gets down into the 40's at night.

When we get up in the morning and fire up the stove to make coffee, it warms up the TM right away, enough so that we have to open a vent to cool it down.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

If you want to use the furnace to keep you warm, you might consider buying a small, quiet generator to recharge your batteries an hour or so a day.

Solar is good too, but if you camp where it's foggy a lot of the time, it may not do the job for you.

I've always wanted to build something that would attach to our bikes that we could pedal away with, get some exercise, and charge the batteries up at the same time.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
Scott O

Solar is excellent and we have some real experts on this list. One word of caution though. They need direct sun over most of the array to function correctly. If you are in any sort of shadow (like a forest!) their capacity is diminished. Practicing energy efficiency and minimizing use of the heater fan seems to be the best ideas when dry camping. If you need them, a 2,000 watt Honda generator costs about the same as a professionally installed 80 watt solar panel.