TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2022, 07:46 PM   #11
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

We had tried one of those cube fans, and that didn’t do anything. The freezer gets into the 20s, but in my experience, should be in the single digits or lower. And certainly, the fridge should be, and previously had been, well into the 40s and 30s.

The door seal is a possibility, even though it seems fine with no visible gaps, even with the dollar bill test, but we haven’t been able to find one for their fridge as it’s been discontinued.

In their case, the gas pressure was found to be low (about 6” WC, should be 11”+), even though the flame appeared fine on the fridge and stove, and the water heater seemed to work fine. It’s been adjusted back up to 13”, so we’ll see if that makes a difference.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:59 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave -

I am eager to hear whether the gas pressure adjustment makes the difference. Six inches is pretty low - I'm surprised some of your other appliances didn't complain. Where did you get the pressure adjusted, and if I can ask, how much did it cost? It is an easy adjustment for anyone who has a manometer. And I've seen where some folks have rigged up their own manometer using a little vinyl tubing. The principle is pretty straightforward. Not sure I would do it myself if a pro isn't too expensive.

When I was looking for a new door seal for a small Sub-Zero fridge/freezer in my house, the manual suggested removing the seal and soaking it in hot water. Never did try it, but if the manufacturer suggested it, it isn't totally out of line.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #13
Shane826
TrailManor Master

“ How do you adjust an RV propane regulator?

If you need to adjust your RV propane regulator, remove the cap and notice the adjustment screw underneath. Turning this screw clockwise will increase the outlet pressure, in most cases, but the proper direction of the adjustment will also be marked on the regulator itself.”

https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-propane-regulator/

I never knew they were adjustable but it only makes sense.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:57 PM   #14
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Dave -

I am eager to hear whether the gas pressure adjustment makes the difference. Six inches is pretty low - I'm surprised some of your other appliances didn't complain. Where did you get the pressure adjusted, and if I can ask, how much did it cost? It is an easy adjustment for anyone who has a manometer. And I've seen where some folks have rigged up their own manometer using a little vinyl tubing. The principle is pretty straightforward. Not sure I would do it myself if a pro isn't too expensive.

When I was looking for a new door seal for a small Sub-Zero fridge/freezer in my house, the manual suggested removing the seal and soaking it in hot water. Never did try it, but if the manufacturer suggested it, it isn't totally out of line.

Bill
Hi Bill -

The camper wasn't mine, but a friend's. And actually I stand corrected, it was 7 inches, but still, obviously quite low. They still haven't checked the fridge yet to see if that fixed the problem, though they did immediately notice that the flame of the stove burners was noticeably higher when set on high. I'll report later this weekend. They did make up their own manometer using the vinyl tubing method you described, but someone with a "real" manometer came over to measure it by hooking it up to the gas line where it connects to the fridge, and then again to the line where it connects at the stove (to make sure there was not some other cause for low pressure). The analog manometers are cheap -- a quick search on Amazon shows lots for about $50, and then you just need an adapter to connect it to whatever compression fitting you have. It doesn't take long to check -- most of the time is disconnecting and reconnecting the gas line (and checking for leaks) at wherever you want to test -- 15 min tops, so figure 1/2 hr of labor to be conservative.

I have not deeply explored the technique for replacing the seal on their fridge, but some instructions I did find instructed you to cut off the old seal and stick on the new one. Seemed odd/imprecise/cheesy, especially from a reputable manufacturer like Dometic.

Dave
Old 08-04-2022, 11:21 AM   #15
TMfor4ofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
“ How do you adjust an RV propane regulator?

If you need to adjust your RV propane regulator, remove the cap and notice the adjustment screw underneath. Turning this screw clockwise will increase the outlet pressure, in most cases, but the proper direction of the adjustment will also be marked on the regulator itself.”

https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-propane-regulator/

I never knew they were adjustable but it only makes sense.
Thats great info! Is it okay to take one of the tanks off to run a BBQ or whatever while continuing to operate the rv of the other tank? I've done it a few times without any problems. I just have the lever on the reg. all the way over to the one running the trailer obviously.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:32 PM   #16
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Yes. And if, when, you remove the pigtail to the tank that is not in use and gas comes out of the pigtail, that is a sign the regulator needs replacing.

Dave
Old 08-16-2022, 11:36 AM   #17
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Paul - Did replacing the door seal work?

Jus wanted to update that my friend's fridge works perfectly now the gas line pressure was adjusted up to 13" WC. With ambient temps in the 80s to low 90s, even with the camper all closed up, the fridge highs are in the low 40s, and freezer highs are in the single digits. Success! Would not have thought to check that given no issues with the other gas appliances.

Dave