TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
CelNArt

Default SOS in South San Diego! Frame weld fix needed

2002 2619 frame cracked behind the swing-away hitch pivot tabs. Posts on the TM Owner Pages suggested the fail is common for older TM models.
I understand there is a C Channel instead of L Channels fix. Please post your pictures and / or descriptions a welder could use.
I am considering proven fixes first but suggest maybe splint pieces welded top, bottom and sides for 4.5" forward and 4.5" aft of the fail using 3/16" steel would work. My father once temporarily fixed his snapped 30' sailboat mast with an internal grade 8 bolted splint.
Any San Diego TM owners recommend experienced skilled TIG, MAG or MIG welders to join 3/16" steel square tubing to 3/16" plate or C channel in South San Diego. I could limp it 10 miles or so to a shop if needed. All help is appreciated. Don't want to miss the Hollister TM rally!
CelNArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I wouldn't say that it was common - let's not scare people - but it did happen a few times.

The idea of strengthening the area by substituting a big C-channel for the smaller L-channels always seemed good to me, but to my knowledge, no one ever did it. Instead, the universal solution seemed to be to close the crack with a clamp, tack-weld it shut, and then weld a sturdy steel plate across the break area. I seem to recall that each break was covered by plates in a couple places when both sides were accessible. Never a problem again.

I would not presume to tell a welder how to do this. They are the pros, and I know very little about welding. Yes, it is kind of unnerving when you first discover it, but unless you know a lot more about welding than a professional welder does, I suggest you put it in his hands, let him see what is happening, decide how to fix it, and turn him loose.

My 2002 2720SL was one of the ones that developed these cracks. I checked the phone book for Scottsdale, chose a welding shop that looked good in the ad, and went down to talk to him without the TM, but with a couple careful photos in hand. IMPORTANT: At this point, be sure to explain to him that if the TM is opened, it cannot be moved. There is probably no reason to open it, but it is best to let him know in advance. The shop I chose had a back-in parking space ready for me, just in case it was needed - it wasn't.

The guy I initially chose gave me confidence, so I took the TM to him. To avoid unintended consequences, I showed him how the swing hitch worked (he had never seen one), and how the WDH worked (he had seen hundreds of them), and turned him loose. Next day I drove the repaired TM away, with never a problem again.

Again, let me emphasize that this is not a complicated situation for an experienced welder, especially one who works on vehicles. He does this every day. No elaborate procedures are needed. I would certainly not try to instruct him on MIG-MAG-TIG, or choose steel plates sizes and placement for him.

BTW, I know I am dating myself by suggesting that you "consult the phone book". That was long ago. I know you can handle whatever today's equivalent is.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
CelNArt

Default SOS thank you

Thanks Bill for your fix description. The WDH will still fit and strength of the area should be better than before. I might be guilty using the electric tongue Jack with the swing hitch open and backing with the WDH engaged. Won’t be doing that anymore.. Great advice about how to deal with a chosen welder. So far, no mobile welder is available before the Hollister rally this Thursday. I will jury rig a bolted splint and limp in to a shop repair once I find an experienced and willing welder. I will post a picture once fix completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	850A8D94-1E14-44BF-9809-0DBB1F77F013.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	19884  
Old 04-18-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Glad some of my suggestions were helpful. You are right about one thing. You cannot put any weight on the hitch cup or jack when the swing hitch is open. Good catch.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
CelNArt

Default Weld photo / description and initial use result

Mobile San Diego welding truck was down so the trailer was jury rigged with chain across the crack fail and towed on side streets slowly. Welder welded crack and grounded smooth. Then “sandwiched the 5x2x3/16 “ tube frame with 5x2x8” long 1/4” flat plate front and back. Drove from San Diego to Hollister, Ca Trailblazer rally that night with no issues. I hereby dub thee the “1/4” steel plate sandwich” fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	584ED7B3-81E6-4C72-8F85-6F2A474F166B.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	767.9 KB
ID:	19887   Click image for larger version

Name:	891691C3-38B6-4BA6-8045-0C940CAE8D97.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	19888  
Old 09-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #6
CelNArt

Default Steel sandwich update

Great camping season with the repaired swing away hitch frame.

California to New York and back with a hitched trailer no problem. (Pun Intended)

This is a great forum to air your Trailmanor repair needs to see what others have done to get back On the Road Again. What year was that song?