TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
househunterlives

Default Built in step for bed

Be neat if Trail Manor could design a built in step that would fold down to get in to the bed. It can even be a after market design which we could add to our older TM's. Would also double as the inside storage door too.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
Dave99gst

Either it would have to collapse into the rear storage area .. or the Fold down wardrobe would have to be removed or redesigned.
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I use a Rubbermaid product utility step and place in front of the underbed storage area. When we close up camp, it stores in the bathtub. With the king bed, its at just the right spot to extend off the bed when exiting. I would think TM could not design one to fit all types of users...

rv

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Pitbull

My TM (new) came with a fold up plastic step stool.

Koz
Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Scott O

Ours also came with the fold-up step stool, I suspect this is a standard item. I have often thought about replacing it, but haven't got around to it yet. The standard step works OK when there is light, but it is a small target to hit if you get up at night, and it's small footprint doesn't exactly inspire stability confidence. Some day I'll get a wider 2 step model...
Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
househunterlives

Default Step

DW bought one from BigLots that folds up flat. Cost about $8. Its enought to help stepping up but would be great if it was a 2step stol. If they can make a trail fold up I think they could design a 3step ladder that would fold up into the storage space where the storage door is and still keep the storage on either side.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Scott O

No doubt they could and it would be a good idea. But it wouldn't help you or I much, would it? But in thinking further, I wouldn't be willing to give up even a little storage space to accomplish it. Easier to just fold the thing up and put it into the bathtub.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
klv5920

I have an old vanity bench I use to get up into the bed in back of our 3023. I sawed the legs off to a good height for me, recovered the seat. Works well for my dogs also. During the day, we use it as a foot stool between the couches. When we fold down, it goes upside down against the fold down table between the couches with other items on top of it.

Karen
Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Bill, it would have to be removable to fold down the TM, no? I have zero clearance on top of the mattress for closing this otherwise... I do like where you're going with this. I had to make something in 2 hours, so I went with the crate/board system. It's lightweight and I put things in the crates when folding down for transport.

But... I'd very much prefer something that flipped up and out of the way, it would facilitate getting to the storage underneath. I see how the strap hinges and sliding steps would flatten out when flipped up, that's nice.

I need to think about this some more. Nice.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
Bill, it would have to be removable to fold down the TM, no? I have zero clearance on top of the mattress for closing this otherwise
The ladder frame doesn't have to be any more than about an inch thick, I don't think, and you could build it to fold either under or over the mattress. But if you truly have zero clearance, then I guess the ladder frame would have to be removable, by replacing the screwed-down strap hinges at the top with flat hooks that would simply drop over the edge of the mattress box. Then you could lift off the ladder frame at will, and carry it someplace like the bathtub. Anything of this sort makes it more difficult to get into the drawers, of course.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote