TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
flashpoint

Default Heavy Duty RV bumper mount reciever for bike rack.

Have read almost all the posts and topics on adding a bike rack to the rear bumper of a TM. I have searched the internet and found what I believe is a very strong mount/ reciever for anyone with a 4" bumper. It is rated at 350 lbs tounge weight and 3500 gtw. Is this overkill? Is the reciever/mount with the two plates and four bolts more than needed or is this unit from Curt Manufacturing the answer. What do you guys think?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
AstroBruce

The mount won't break off of the bumper. But, will the bumper stay attached to the trailer?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
flashpoint

LOL...........very good point. I have looked under my TM and I plan on adding some welds to the factory installed bumper. I tend to be an overkill kind of guy. The last thing I want are my bicycle strone all over the highway if something fails. My other option is the dual plate,four bolt reciever/hitch mount. Anyone using one of those type with success? I read a few reviews were people had them move during travel.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

You may want to consider reinforcing the bumper itself. The jarring of a couple bikes on the back of that trailer may just bend or break the bumper itself, in the middle.

If I were going to do that (and I may), I think that I would put a couple of 6' long pieces of angle iron (or aluminum) on the bottom corners of the bumper to keep it from flexing.

When that trailer goes over bumps, the rear of the trailer gets a tremendous amount of jarring.

BTW.........what year/model is your TM?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
The mount won't break off of the bumper. But, will the bumper stay attached to the trailer?
The factory bike receiver looks to be a full blown receiver that is welded/bolted to the frame of the trailer...not just the bumper.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
flashpoint

Its a new to me 1992 model 23. I bought it off the original owners who kept it stored inside from the day they bought it when not in use. It is in remakable shape! I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashpoint View Post
Have read almost all the posts and topics on adding a bike rack to the rear bumper of a TM. I have searched the internet and found what I believe is a very strong mount/ reciever for anyone with a 4" bumper. It is rated at 350 lbs tounge weight and 3500 gtw. Is this overkill? Is the reciever/mount with the two plates and four bolts more than needed or is this unit from Curt Manufacturing the answer. What do you guys think?
We have a similar receiver bolted to the rear bumper. That setup has never moved or weakened in any way. For our first year of travel west, we used an Outback tilting bike rack. In order to control as much of the "bounce" effect as possible, I used a few ratcheting straps along with several, strategically placed bungee cords. Not a big deal for limited camping. But it does become quite the chore when setting up for one night while en-route; and re- attaching straps and cords the next morning - especially in the rain. We never lost a mountain bike -but did lose a seat. That was enough to convince me to find an alternate method of transporting the bikes. I now use a front receiver and carry the bikes where I can see them. There are, of course, other options.

Even though the add-on receiver in your post is rated for 350 lbs tongue and 3500 gtw, I believe TM recommends no more than 100 lbs on the 4 inch square bumper. More than likely that is due to the way the bumper is attached to the frame.

Newer TMs do have a receiver welded or bolted to the main frame - much like receivers on tow vehicles.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7774b.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	4031  
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
flashpoint

All very good points. Luckily I can fabricate and weld. I will most likely strenthen the entire rear bumper utilizing the TM frame itself and adding re-enforcement to the bumper.
Who knows maybey Ill even look for a used class 3 hitch and adapt it to the TM itself.