TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2004, 09:48 AM   #1
amp17408

Default Sway Bars

Quick question.

I'm currently trailering with a Trail-Lite Bantam(that is for sale) until I get a TM. I use the equilizer and sway bars with that hitch setup. Can I move them to the new TM when I get it, or would they be stay with the old trailer?
Old 09-03-2004, 10:48 AM   #2
camperboy

The simple answer is maybe. Many folks, including those at TM say that you don't need a sway bar with a TM. The WDH part will depend on the weight ratings for the bars. If you search for WDH you'll find lots of good information and lots of opinions on various products. Popular opinion seems to me to be at least 600# bars. I have 600# and would get 1000# were I to buy it over.

Camperboy
Old 09-03-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

I can't say for sure, but the consensus on this site seems to be that 1,000# bars are the best for TM's. Those who have them are pleased and those who have lighter ones seem to indicate that they would buy the heavier ones if they could do it over. Even the owners of the smallest TM's seem to think the bigger bars are better, or so it seems from their comments.

We have the 1k bars and I am very pleased with the setup. The TV is very level and the TM pulls as though it's not there except on the long hills. It took a couple of tries for me to get it set up right, but it was pretty simple to correct the problems. I have never seen any indication of sway from either of the 3124's we owned.

Since the Coleman trailers we owned previously were extremely sway-prone, I consider myself as thoroughly experienced on that subject and am extremely glad I don't have to use any of that knowledge on the TM. When we first got the TM, I didn't install a WDH and found the TV worked fine and the trailer pulled well, but with perhaps a touch more pitch oscillation (during acceleration or going over bumps) than I would have preferred. I added the WDH because the TV bumper dropped more than 3" and I just felt it would be a better ride if it were level. That proved to be true.

We didn't need the WDH on the Coleman, so it is an interesting change of equipment for us. The good news is that backing up (that in our case called for removal of the sway bar) is much simpler than before. The way it shakes out for us is that when we had the Coleman, I wouldn't think about taking it across town (for storage, or for a service call) without the sway bar. I felt doing so, especially on the big highways was downright spooky. With the TM, I don't mind pulling it around on short trips without the WDH, but will always use it for serious travel. Not because I have the same sensation of potential danger, simply because it is more comfortable.

2003 3124KS drug by 2001 1500 2WD Suburban
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote