TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2022, 05:46 PM   #1
Stephene1219

Default Portable Power Supplies

When boondocking I do not worry very much about battery power, since I have 525W of solar. Charging the batteries has never been an issue. Since I have not change the power supply of the TM to a convertor I have no access to outlets. So, I am thinking of buying a Portable Power Supply so I can charge my computer, tablet, speakers, phone, etc. I have found the EcoFlow River series that seem to fit my need and they are very fast recharging. Has anyone used a Portable Power Supply and specifically EcoFlow?
Stephene1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:34 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We should start by getting the terminology straight, to make the discussion more meaningful.

Start with this. 120VAC is known as House Power or Plug-in Power, since it is found in your house. It is also known as Shore Power, a term borrowed from the boating community, and it is what you find on a campground power post. On the other hand, 12VDC is also known as Vehicle Power or Battery Power, since it is what is found in your vehicle and in the TM. Your solar panels generate 12VDC (nominally).

The TM has a device called a "converter". This device "converts" 120VAC house power into 12 VDC battery power, which is used to charge the TM battery, and run all of the 12-volt devices in the TM. Whenever you are boondocking, there is no 120VAC power available, so the converter sits idle.

There is also a device called an "inverter", which works in the other direction, changing 12VDC battery power into 120VAC house power. This is what you are looking for - you need a small amount of house power available to charge cell phones and so forth. Sadly, the TM does not have an inverter.

In order to get the small amount of house power that you need, you have two choices. One of them is something like the EcoFlow portable power source that you mention. It is basically a small suitcase that contains its own battery, plus a small inverter. This is a good solution for your needs, but has two shortcomings. The first is that because of the small battery and the small inverter, it can make only a limited amount of house power. The second is that its internal battery will quickly become discharged, and need to be recharged. EDIT - The EcoFlow's internal battery can be recharged in the car using a cigarette-lighter outlet. (I don't think TMs have a cigarette lighter outlet any more.) This is kind of a pain, but not a fatal problem. Of course, if you do it too many times without firing up the car's motor, the car battery will be discharged - not a good outcome.

Your second choice is to buy a stand-alone inverter. These change the TM's battery power to house power. Their first advantage is that they use the TM's battery power, which is basically unlimited since you have that nice big solar array. The second advantage is that inverters come in a whole range of power levels. You can choose a small one that will power a few cell phone chargers, cost only a few bucks, and be easy to connect. Or you can get one with a very large capability that will power a microwave, cost a few hundred bucks, and be a challenge to hook up. Or any size in between.

Questions? Ask away. You can also use the Forum's Search tool to read LOTS of advice and experiences from TM owners. Inverters are a popular topic.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 04:40 PM   #3
Stephene1219

Bill, thank you. I meant an invertor when I said converter. I did not install and inverter when I installed the solar because it was just to difficult to get to all the wiring. I also wanted to install a decent battery monitor, since the one that comes with the TM really gives no info. Again just accessing all the wiring seemed to hard. I will check the forum
Stephene1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 11:27 AM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Since I live in Florida, AC is necessary and while I had a couple of solar panels and gold cart batteries plus a 1400W inverter to make coffe in the morning, I also carried a portable generator & fount that 2200W could run the AC and the Westinghouse I used was also designed for electronics.

For more than you ever wanted to know about portable generators see here (and links). From 2017 but still relevant.

ps sold my 2720 since have an empty nest but would not mind a 2417 or similar.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:32 AM   #5
larsdennert

Probably not necessary to invert 12V to 120V only to convert back down to 5V to charge your phone. Easier to just use a car charger.
larsdennert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 11:45 AM   #6
Hotdam

Thumbs up

To add to the discussion, if you go the inverter route, you could wire it into the TM 120V wiring, though this adds some complexities. It would likely require a transfer switch, to preclude overloading the shore power circuit should you plug in to 120V while also supplying 120V with the inverter. This allows the use of the TM’s existing 120V wall outlets. You need to be mindful of what you’re powering with your inverter (e.g., toaster, hair dryer, space heater) so as not to overwhelm it. Also, a minor clarification to the original response: your solar panels likely do not supply 12V but, rather, something like 18V (typically), or some multiple thereof if wired in series. However, this is normally converted to ~12V (or multiple thereof) by a charge controller, which you likely have as part of your solar setup to recharge your TM’s batteries. Apologies if I’m preaching to the choir.
I’m in the process of adding solar, lithium battery, and an inverter to my TM too. The process is not overly complex, but requires some research and forethought. This forum is a great resource for that.
Hotdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 02:28 PM   #7
Jampcourt

If you have a car cigarette lighter type outlet in your trailer, you can probably get away with something as simple as this for charging devices if that is all you want to do. I use one with a 100 watt suitcase when boondocking and it works fine for charging devices.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jonathan
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 07:26 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephene1219 View Post
When boondocking I do not worry very much about battery power, since I have 525W of solar. Charging the batteries has never been an issue. Since I have not change the power supply of the TM to a convertor I have no access to outlets. So, I am thinking of buying a Portable Power Supply so I can charge my computer, tablet, speakers, phone, etc. I have found the EcoFlow River series that seem to fit my need and they are very fast recharging. Has anyone used a Portable Power Supply and specifically EcoFlow?
Do you have a pic of your 525W solar array on your TM?