TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Default Sewer Totes

This thread was very informative, but I didn't want to add to it because it is very old:
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ead.php?t=2491

We usually like hookups, so we want to keep our recirculating toilet. However, a few times we might find a campsite that has only a dump. The freshwater storage in our camper is a 20 gal (2720 with slide has the smaller tank), and the Thetford has a capacity of 6 gal. This will produce a maximum of 26 gal waste.

The 30 gal totes are starting to get a little heavy (30+ lbs) while the smaller ones (22 gal) will be easier to work with and store when empty. The smaller ones (10 gal) would require 3 trips, but the 22 gal could do it in 2 trips.

From the linked thread, some have stored their totes on the A-frame which seems really easy to do, except I have horizontal propane tanks that might get in the way. I see that Bill stored his this way, and I know he had a slide, but I don't know if he had vertical or horizontal tanks, and he was storing a much smaller tote (10 or 15 gal I think).

Since that above-linked thread, what are peoples experiences transporting these totes? I don't have time to fabricate a carrier underneath the trailer this year, but we have reservations for three nights at a campsite that just has a dump station. Do you think it's possible to mount a 22 gal on the A-frame securely with the horizontal tanks?

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 12:12 PM   #2
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Hi Larry - I know it's been a while since you initially asked this question, but did you ever try carrying your tote on the A-frame? I am in a similar situation (I've checked out that old thread and LOTS of great ideas) but I would like something a little more accessible and not requiring drilling, welding, etc. My current tank is a 15 gal Camco Rhino. Considering a 28 gallon for the same reason as you - I have a 2729SL as well, so only need a max of 28 gallons (I tend not to use shore water and prefer to run from the fresh water tank - habit, & better idea of exactly how much water I've used, and therefore how full my tanks might be)

I'm putting in a poor man's Sealand come spring so 26 gallons is max volume I would need. When I visit family, the only decent campground alternative is dump station only, so I will have 2 weeks of needing to use a tote. My 2 options are on top of the 4Runner (would rather not add drag) or inside the trailer (distinct possibility) or on the tongue on top of the LP bottles.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:51 PM   #3
mickmanor

Default I installed the poor-man toilet,

per dudeabides, and it works great! To deal with its 8 gallon waste tank capacity,
I am carrying a 10 gallon portable waste tank. I upgraded it with a slightly longer piece
of 3/8" rod and rubber wheels to enable light towing to the waste station.
Somebody said that it fits into the spare tire rack next to the tire, and it does
fit there, perfectly. The tire rack needs to be dropped to install it there,
and then to remove it for use. Right, this is not a perfect solution. Strap it in.
If you have a receiver, the portable waste tank can be strapped into a cargo rack.

It's advantage over the bigger portable waste tanks is that it is lighter.
It also makes for compromised practicality rather than a no-win situation.

Happy Camping!
mickmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 07:09 AM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Be aware of the height of your sewer tote. The TM dump valve sits pretty low and most (all?) of these totes fill from the top. And as we all know crap only flows downhill.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:26 AM   #5
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

DebMac, we haven't been out in the last couple of years, so I haven't tried it yet. We were going to take it up to to Barkerville where a tote would have been very helpful, but then Covid hit. Due to other family situations we haven't gone out since. We hope to get back to camping this summer.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #6
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default macerator & waste tote :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Be aware of the height of your sewer tote. The TM dump valve sits pretty low and most (all?) of these totes fill from the top. And as we all know crap only flows downhill.
I actually have a macerator and a 1" hose. Got used to having one in my GMC and got one when I got the Bigfoot. If I have to, I can put my empty tote in the back of the 4Runner (because it only weighs in at about 30 lb empty) and pump 'n dump while the tote is in the truck. (and have) Did that so if I was dry camping somewhere (only when I have to!) I could still empty and get the tote to the nearest dump station - which could be a few km's away in the nearest small town (don't want to try to pull a black tank tote on public roads at anywhere close to normal driving speeds!). The advantage to the 15 gallon model of the Rhino is that it can stand up on end in the back of the 4Runner for dumping. So far, no mishaps (in the 2 times I have used it that way).

So in a way, my crap CAN flow uphill

Hadn't considered that aspect when I was thinking about a bigger tote. So thanks for bring it up! I guess I'll stick with my 15 gallon tote, & just keep an eye on my fresh and grey tank levels - just have to dump more frequently when I'm in that one local campground visiting family back in Ontario.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:39 AM   #7
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
DebMac, we haven't been out in the last couple of years, so I haven't tried it yet. We were going to take it up to to Barkerville where a tote would have been very helpful, but then Covid hit. Due to other family situations we haven't gone out since. We hope to get back to camping this summer.
Thanks Larry. Good luck getting out next year. I am looking forward to getting out this summer. Last summer was a lot of family concerns and house repairs (major) so all I got to do was go pick this one up and drive her home. But long enough (4 days) that I know i'm going to like having it.

I'll post my solution when I get it set up. Right now, we're just waiting for winter to end up here. It's -31C here this morning. The panorama view of my neighbour's house through the hall window is depressing. THEY are in Arizona! Sent me pictures of the cacti at their campground. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6003.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	5.10 MB
ID:	21610  
Old 12-21-2022, 11:10 AM   #8
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Yeah I guess if you have a macerater pump it’s a moo point. And I would definitely put the toter in the back of the truck and then pump to it if you have to tow a long ways to the dump station. Save the wear and tear on the toter wheels, they tend to be the weak point.

Speaking of macerater pumps, I found this kinda interesting. Yes I know the Thetford isn’t a regular black tank. Still interesting.

https://youtu.be/zYJCLzGaaB8
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #9
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Hi Shane. I've seen that clip as well. That guy loves his simulated black tank. Lots of good information there TBH and lots of other helpful stuff on his channel too.. I looked at that Sewer solution. Interesting concept but you do need a hose to use it. And you use a LOT of fresh water in order to dump your tank.

I have a bayonet macerator, so I can use either the 3" slinky or the macerator and 1" hose, depending on my situation. The macerator is about 12 gal/min so would take about 5 minutes to empty both the soon-to-be 6 gallon black tank and the 30 gallon grey tank (which will hardly ever be full). That's from start to finish.

Actually have never used a "standard issue" 3" hose - my GMC had a plumbed-in macerator system, and the Bigfoot had a small grey tank and what I called a "yellow tank" (I built a composting toilet with urine diversion into the 8 gallon black tank) that there was minimal solids to worry about and I already had the macerator system so continued out of habit!

I will likely use the 3" slinky most of the time for speed on a full service site, and the macerator set-up if I have to pump uphill - like into the back of the truck, or at home into the toilet. And at a campground with a remote dump station. Fill the tote with macerator (more control over flow, so I don't over fill) and dump with the slinky.
Old 12-21-2022, 12:48 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
I will likely use ... the macerator set-up if I have to pump uphill - like into the back of the truck, or at home into the toilet.
Deb -

I've never used a macerator, and I've always had one question. If I'm pumping uphill, into a tank in the back of a truck, for example, what happens when I have pumped the holding tank dry? It would seem that I am left with 25 or 50 feet of garden hose, filled with nasty stuff. How do I disconnect and rinse this hose without spilling the nasty all over the ground, and on my (hopefully gloved) hands? Is there a shutoff valve on the input end of the hose, so I can trap it all until I can climb into the truck, lift the hose, and gravity-drain it into the tote? Or do disconnect it at the tote end, and lift and gravity-drain it back into the TM's black tank?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote