TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
nwhouston

Default Lower shell section at the door jam

I have an issue that may be new to the forum but I am hoping for some guidance.

I have the usual problem of not being able to push the small wing section for the lower door jam into place at set up (pin on the top of the wing into the slot on the upper shell that forms the upper door jam). I can over jack the passenger side rear stabilizer after leveling, and the passenger side edge at the door jam drops just enough to side the post into the slot.

I was going to follow Holly's guidance on adjusting the white supports for the upper shell sections that actually 'load' the torsion arms when we lower the upper sections. Just as I was loosening the first bolts, I took a look at the bottom edge of my trailer right at the left lower door jam. I can see that the bottom edge has somehow shifted up about 1/8" to maybe 1/4". This is just enough to cause the door jam issue. See pictures attached.

When I went under the trailer at that point for a look. There is one screw going up into the lower wall section. On my trailer it has a hex head drive. I backed it out just to see what it might be. It is a long (1/4" dia?) shaft that apparently has threads at the end (did not pull it all the way out as I do not know what it engages). Based on how long it is, and the absence of threads on the four inches I did back out, I am guessing there is some bracket up in the lower wall section that this bolt is holding. When I re tightened the bolt (or screw) it did not pull the bottom section into alignment, but I wonder if the bracket has shifted in the wall and that is why I have the deflection along my bottom edge right at the door.

My questions for the forum:
Has anyone else seen this bottom edge deflection at their door?
Has anyone pulled out the bolt to replace it?
Called the factory to find out what it does?
Have a view on what it might be for and the risks with pulling it all the way out?
Have any suggestions on how to restore this passenger side edge to level at the door?

As always I appreciate any help and guidance. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pix looking up under trailer at deflection point.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	15837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pix of deflection at door.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	15838  
2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L 6 speed auto
+P3 brake controller
nwhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhouston View Post
Just as I was loosening the first bolts, I took a look at the bottom edge of my trailer right at the left lower door jam. I can see that the bottom edge has somehow shifted up about 1/8" to maybe 1/4". This is just enough to cause the door jam issue. See pictures attached.
Hmmm..... now you have me wondering if perhaps I have the same problem and I missed it when trying to figure out how to adjust everything. I will take a look when I get home this evening.

Do you notice any difference in floor height inside? I know that spot is probably inside the triangular cabinet (well, that is what is right inside my door, to the left), but wondering if you've investigated inside for any deviation in the floor.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
nwhouston

Default Evidence of deflection

Holly, I did look every where my two eyes could go, and no, I found no evidence of surface deflection on the underside of the trailer or on the floor area near the door. When I was under the trailer fiddling with that one bolt / screw in the other pix I ran my fingers over the aluminum skin to see if I could feel any 'edge' or 'nonconformity', and I felt nothing. Even when I looked closely at the rubber edging that clearly is deflected in the one picture, I could not see any break in a surface. The bolts that hold the tension rod guide are snug as well.

Larry
+P3 brake controller
Old 07-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
GolfingDebby

Holly & Larry.
We have a 3326 and have repaired the side walls separating from the floor in many places along the bottom of the frame. In fact we lifted the front and back shells on the torsion bar, as Holly suggested to level the door opening and correct a problem with the bathroom wall hanging up on the ceiling when setting up, only to discover it was the walls on both the curb and street side separating from the base of the trailer that was causing the issues. I believe this is an inherent problem with the longer models do to the the flexing of the units. I jacked the floor up so it was even with the side wall and drove #12 x 1 inch screws thru the side wall into the 2 x 4 that is attached to the floor inside the wall. The 2 x 4 is approximately 3 inches above the bottom of the floor. I also drove some 1/4 × 4 1/4" hex head bolts underneath the edge into the 2 x 4. I have now had to do this on the street side front, middle, rear sections. And the curb side front and middle sections. If you see white showing below the beige vinyl trim strip along the base of the trailer you most likely have a wall separation issue. I can post some photos of the repair if needed. After this repair I had to lower the shells back down. Doug
Old 07-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDebby View Post
Holly & Larry.
We have a 3326 and have repaired the side walls separating from the floor in many places along the bottom of the frame.. Doug
Oh my. Now I don't want to go home to look at it.....
Old 07-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just looked at my 2720SL and that area is straight/flat, no deflection.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Golfing Debby- Do you have any pictures of this failure & the repair? I'm dealing with broken floor framing on my 3326 and also have wall separation. Thanks!
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #8
nwhouston

Default Floor separation repairs

Golfing Debby / Doug, please post all pictures you have of the before situation as well as where and how you did the repairs. My street side is still straight and true, and as far as I can detect, only at the door area do I have the passenger side problem. I am particularly interested in your statements about lifting the floor. Please include the steps on how you did that safely. Thank you for getting in this thread. Larry
+P3 brake controller
Old 07-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

I think mine appears to be fine. Ignore the dirtiness - I haven't washed Fiona since coming home on Monday, in the rain, on a dirt road.... she's a mess.

There appears to be a vertical caulk line between the floor section of the doorway, and the side of the read shell, that is semi-intact. I know there is a very small amount of the white shell hanging below the off-white (very dirty) horizontal edging, but it is like it wasn't mounted straight, and the very rear corner is sticking out a tad. But the floor is still attached to the wall, no separation, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom of door.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	597.5 KB
ID:	15844  
Old 07-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
gusgon1965

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
Oh my. Now I don't want to go home to look at it.....
I was thinking the same thing.