TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Brifla

Default Too Many Roof Vents

Having just spent time recaulking a good portion of my TM roof with 3M 5200 in hopes of solving a centerline leak, I have to ask why there are so many vents installed. I'm of the opinion that you only compromise a solid roof when absolutely necessary (you won't see a sunroof in any car I own). I understand the AC and Fantastic Fan vent on the TM but would have preferred to not have at least one (if not both) of the skylight vents. There are a ton of windows so light isn't an issue. Also, all these vents are so close together that it seems that some of the structural integrity/strength of the roof was likely compromised. Every hole, seam, screw, etc on that roof is a leak waiting to happen and with the middle seam, edge seams, 3 vents, AC, awning and TV antenna, it's just a matter of time. If I were ordering a new TM, I would skip the addition of the two skylight vents (if that's possible). This would also save in labor and part costs for the TM construction and reduce potential leak and maintenance trouble. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
happybeebob

[QUOTE=Brifla;91121] I understand the AC and Fantastic Fan vent on the TM but would have preferred to not have at least one (if not both) of the skylight vents. There are a ton of windows so light isn't an issue. Also, all these vents are so close together that it seems that some of the structural integrity/strength of the roof was likely compromised.

Brifla:
My 25/18 is a 1996 and comes with only one vent that has the fantastic fan in it. Have not noticed any problems as like you said there are plenty of windows for sunlight. Less things to recaulk. The only extra one that might be useful would be in the bathroom.

Bob
Old 02-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brifla View Post
Having just spent time recaulking a good portion of my TM roof with 3M 5200 in hopes of solving a centerline leak, I have to ask why there are so many vents installed. I'm of the opinion that you only compromise a solid roof when absolutely necessary (you won't see a sunroof in any car I own). I understand the AC and Fantastic Fan vent on the TM but would have preferred to not have at least one (if not both) of the skylight vents. There are a ton of windows so light isn't an issue. Also, all these vents are so close together that it seems that some of the structural integrity/strength of the roof was likely compromised. Every hole, seam, screw, etc on that roof is a leak waiting to happen and with the middle seam, edge seams, 3 vents, AC, awning and TV antenna, it's just a matter of time. If I were ordering a new TM, I would skip the addition of the two skylight vents (if that's possible). This would also save in labor and part costs for the TM construction and reduce potential leak and maintenance trouble. Just my $0.02.
Camping in Fl I'm surprised you said that about vents. for us more is better. We have owned two TT, and a motorhome before the TM and vent leaks. Roof seams are the culprit from what we have seen.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Brifla

I grew up camping the Southeast in a canvas pop-up, tents and the back of my pickup with a topper. None of them had any roof vents (or AC) so I guess I'm used to going without. The TM Fantastic Fan does a great job of pulling the air through the trailer and there are a ton of windows in addition to the AC. I just feel that I could do without two more skylight vents right next to these other items. In addition to the potential for leaks, the skylight plastic has gotten very brittle with some cracks so I'm looking at either having to put on a new vent lid (if possible) or a cover. I've noticed on the forum that many people have installed vent covers for various reasons. Was just thinking that maybe the skylight vents (or at least the 2nd one) should be an option on new TMs.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We use the air maxx vent covers so we can have the vents open in the rain. Open the vinyl flap at the front and add a screen and you get a nice air flow as a general rule.

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Brifla

Where if the vinyl flap that you refer to? On the Maxx vent? I was looking at these Camping World vents as an option, if they will fit and attach to the existing vent. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...nslucent/32000
Old 02-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I don't know about the camping world one, this is the one we use:
http://www.maxxair.com/standard-maxxair.html
Since you have beds at both ends of your TM your configuration is different then our inside. On ours with the living room slide there is a vinyl flap between the couch and the front shell. It almost like a 6 to 8 inch wide shelf. A screen can made up to place in this area.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
I don't know about the camping world one, this is the one we use:
http://www.maxxair.com/standard-maxxair.html
Since you have beds at both ends of your TM your configuration is different then our inside. On ours with the living room slide there is a vinyl flap between the couch and the front shell. It almost like a 6 to 8 inch wide shelf. A screen can made up to place in this area.
Do you have one of these over the Fantastic Fan vent?

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Do you have one of these over the Fantastic Fan vent?

Tom
Not at the present time wasn't in the budget last year. Maybe no that my Good Sam membership was upgraded to Camping world President's Club.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

We have Maxair covers on all three vents but I find the cover over the power vent the most useful. When it rains, i use the power vent when cooking inside the TM.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...vent#post83428

Tim