TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
madjan

Default practice practice

we took a little 4 day tour of our local texas state parks last week.. our fj pulled flawlessly and the elkmont pulled really well wind or not.. uphill or downhill. we are learning how to tow a trailer and live in it too.. hahaha.. also teaching our cats how to travel.. this wasn't their first trip with us but the first with the trailer.. i do believe they loved it. i can't wait for the next time we bring the trailer home from storage to see how the two felions react.. they wouldn't stay out of it when we were cleaning it up after the trip.

only one thing bothers me about towing a trailer.. the noise that the weight distribution hitch makes when turning... is this a common thing?

i seem to be able to turn pretty sharp with the fj having kind of a bobtail.. is that something i should avoid?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
kenngeri2720

Madjan,

I put a little grease on the friction points of the spring bars and that seem to reduce the noise level.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjan View Post

only one thing bothers me about towing a trailer.. the noise that the weight distribution hitch makes when turning... is this a common thing?
Yerp. Those puppies creak, clank, knock, and rattle......it is the nature of the beast.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
PopBeavers

That is one of the nice things about towing with either of my two trucks. I do not need a WD hitch.

But, you probably would not like my gas bill. I get 13.5 mpg empty and about 11 towing.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
brulaz

The grease on the friction bars help; it should also reduce wear-and-tear. After our trip from Texas (no grease) I was surprised at how much wear there was at the top, where they fit into the hitch.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Groaning during turns is often a sign of improper adjustment of the weight distributing hitch. Specifically, it will groan if the tips of the springbars are too high (too few chain links between the springbar tips and the lift hooks). There should be at least 6 or 7 chain links between the tips and the hooks. If there are fewer, it means that the ball mount is tilted too far forward, which raises the tips of the springbars too close to the hooks. If you have only 3 or 4 links, you really need to do an adjustment before you break something. WDH ballmounts, at least the ones that involve chain-type springbars, have a tilt adjustment. All you need is a BIG wrench, and the instructions for your WDH (available online).

It is easy to adjust, and not something to ignore. There is a little info around post #8 here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6549
and a little more in the posts around #10 here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?p=35516

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
madjan

Default hey bill

i have two empty links on the end.. so i'm using the third chain link from the end..
Old 04-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
madjan

i was able to find the instructions from the husky site..www.huskytow.com.. i think i'm adjusted pretty well.. but will double check.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Madjan -

If you have only a couple of free links, you are probably OK. But it is a common misconception that the number of free links will be the same for every hitch. Not so. I was referring to the number of links between the springbar tips and the hook, not the number of free links beyond the hook. After all, somebody could put on a longer chain (more links), and you would still want the same amount of lift. The number of free links has no effect on the amount of lift, and isn't really a good indicator of "how to set it up".

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
madjan

Talking thanks so much

i will study my hitch and these instructions and make sure i'm not getting too tight with the spring bars. again .. thanks.. i really appreciate all the info i get here!!!