TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2022, 10:57 AM   #1
FlyboyTR

Lightbulb Bed-Deck Slides (Plastic & Loose Bolts): A New Point Of View

Back in 2019 there was a thread about replacing the cheap plastic bed deck slides with aluminum. Mine had a couple of cracks. So...

I also jumped on board and did the upgrade to aluminum. I also took the slack out of the two slide bolts...never did understand why the bolts are so long with about 1/2" slack between the swing support frame and the nut. I sold that TM two years ago. Well....

Here we are on the verge of 2023 with our NU2US Mouse Motel. Kathy and I were doing some weather stripping maintenance around the beds. At this time we were working on the front bed. We had the bed extended and propped up about a foot on the inside to give us room to work on things. Kathy made a laughing comment about the slack in the bolt was almost gone with the bed tilted...and "YOU" need to take care of that (tighten the bolts up).

As I stared at the arrangement...something VERY important came to mind and my point of view about this subject was suddenly changed. I believe I now realize why the TM Factory uses fragile plastic strips for the under-bed slides and the nuts of the bolts were never tightened to remove most of the slack!

Generally speaking as a means of providing an emergency escape route, the bed decks are designed (on most models) to be lifted UP from the inside and pushed outwards after unlatching the slide pin. The slack in the bolts allows upward movement of the deck which is then pushed outwards. That will cause the bed deck to separate from the camper as it slides aft and the downward (breaking the plastic slide runners as the bolt head breaks free). This is your escape route.

If aluminum sliders are used (many folks are using 1/8" flat bar) and then we take the slack out of the bolts...(in my opinion and new/current way of thinking) we are greatly limiting the ability to effectively lift and push the bed deck out/away. Not having any slack in the bolts has the potential to make this even more difficult. First thought is...with my hulk-like build I could easily overpower this and quickly lift the bed deck, mattress, covers and pillows with one hand...causing both bolt heads to break free of the aluminum runners. LOL BUT...what if it is my 120 lb wife needing to escape...could she do the same? I don't think so.

Our current TM had a factory block on the rear of the closet to prevent the bed deck from being able to be lifted. It has an escape window across the rear (give some mental and physical consideration to climbing out that emergency exit window...). Yes, Really...go stare at that arrangement with the camper set up and think about having to crawl out that escape window! I have removed that block and have now ensured I can lift/push the bed deck out/down should the need to escape ever occur.

So with my new way of looking at why plastic runners and loose bolts were used by the Factory, I do honestly believe this is to effectively allow the bed deck to break away so that one could then climb out the front/back of the camper. I welcome your thoughts on this... Thanks!

Tags
bed slides, loose bed bolts, plastic slides