TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-19-2003, 07:09 AM   #1
efelker

Default The Downhill Side of 50

I was looking through the member's list for this website, and I noticed that there are a few (well, more than a few) of us on the... how do I say it delicately... downhill side of age 50? I got to thinking about a list someone sent me about becoming a senior citizen.

Here it is -- hope it gives you a chuckle...

- I'm the life of the party... even if it lasts until 8 p.m.
- I'm very good at opening childproof caps... with a hammer.
- I'm usually interested in going home before I get to where I am going.
- I'm awake many hours before my body allows me to get up.
- The snap, crackle, and pop I hear every morning comes from my joints, not my cereal bowl.
- I'm smiling all the time because I can't hear a thing you're saying.
- I'm very good at telling stories; over and over and over and over...
- I'm aware that other people's grandchildren are not nearly as cute as mine.
- I'm so cared for -- long term care, eye care, private care, dental care.
- I'm not really grouchy, I just don't like traffic, waiting, crowds, lawyers, loud music, unruly kids, barking dogs, politicians and a few other things I can't seem to remember right now.
- I'm sure everything I can't find is in a safe secure place, somewhere.
- I'm wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just my left leg.
- I'm having trouble remembering simple words like.......
- I'm beginning to realize that aging is not for wimps.
- I'm wondering, if you're only as old as you feel, how could I be alive at 150? And, how can my kids be older than I feel sometimes?
- I'm a walking storeroom of facts..... I've just lost the key to the storeroom door.

... and like me, as you chuckle, you'll probably realize there was more truth here than fiction.

Ed ;D

Old 08-19-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
azroadrunner

Default Re:The Downhill Side of 50

I can relate to that.
Jim & Deanna
Old 08-19-2003, 10:51 AM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

LOL...I'm beginning to think, Ed, that you must moonlight as a standup comedian.

But as an "offensively fit 50-something" (as an online pal from Kansas describes people like me), I'm here to testify that being post-50 doesn't have to mean that life becomes a downhill process.

This year's Pikes Peak Marathon was run this past weekend. This is arguably one of the most grueling marathons on the planet...not only do the contestants have to run the full 26.2 miles of a standard marathon but in doing so they climb and then descend the whole mountain....up, then down a whopping 7815 vertical feet in ultra thin air (start and finish at elevation 6295, turn around at top at elevation 14,110). Nonetheless, there were so many "senior citizens" participating that the race organizers had to set up age-group divisions for folks all the way to 95 and up. There were no finishers older than 73...but the the winning time amongst the 70-74 men was a pretty darn respectable 4 hours 22 minutes. Even more impressive was that one of the 6 finishers amongst the 70- 74 year old men was a 73 year old who was a "doubler"...not only did he finish the 26.2 miles of Sunday's marathon, but he'd also finished the Pikes Peak Ascent (half marathon) that was held the day before. (for all the details see http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/) Personally, I found this quite inspiring...and a huge caution that age in and of itself is no excuse whatsoever for not being able to do whatever you want.

And for myself...the more exercise I get, the fewer aches and pains I have. The only time I have any back or leg problems is when I haven't had significant exercise for a couple of days. Sure, a long run (I routinely run 10 km (6.2 miles)) or strenuous workout might produce a few hours of mild soreness but nothing to complain about. Now it's possible that I have pain but I just don't know about it because my body is generating so much endorphins. (Endorphins, for those not familiar with the term, are morphine like chemicals the brain naturally produces in response to regular, long-endurance, strenuous exercise such as running 5 or more miles...they're the cause of the mild euphoria known as "runner's high&quot.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 01:11 PM   #4
efelker

Ray:

... hey I could do that 26.2er, and beat that 4hr 22 sec -- just would have to keep the 4 Runner out of overdrive!!

Seriously, you are right. Getting old is no excuse for getting out of shape. I intend to reach 125 (at least). I won't do that by sitting on my butt with the TV clicker in my hand.

So the git-up in my go ain't what it was, and the rope-a-dope in my step is more dope than rope -- but I'm out there on the track or on the treadmill because it's good for me. I'm usually complaining every step of the way, but my wife says I always complain the most about the things that are best for me.

And I know all too well, the hardest step in exercise, is the first one out the door. So I try to do my 3 miles a day. I'll let that 26.2 mile stuff for you "over achievers." I still believe Henry Ford invented the automobile assembly line so I wouldn't have to run 26.2 miles, and that running is designed primarily for capture and escape. Oh, and that "euphoria" thing -- endorphins can kick in, but liquor is quicker!!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:29 PM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

LOL...you are one entertaining guy.

But despite your protestations, I really am happy to hear that you ARE out there regularly getting a pretty decent amount of cardiovascular type exercise. A regular 3 mile run is very respectable. No slacking though!
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:48 PM   #6
ColoradoCop

Ray,

Food for thought. I was told that if, as a cop, you have to chase a suspect; you did not park your patrol car close enough. And that old cops lke me have young deputies to do the chasing :. I did check my job discription and no where does it say "you must chase a suspect." Actually, not having to run comes with the privledge of rank and age :P.

ColoradoCop 8)

Old 09-10-2003, 04:07 PM   #7
efelker

I keep trying to tell Ray that running was designed for capture and escape only -- and that .356 Magnum would tend to slow down the pace of the escapee wouldn't it?
Old 09-12-2003, 12:40 AM   #8
ColoradoCop

Or in some cases speed up the final results.

ColoradoCop 8)