TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-25-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Default Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin

We spent four nights at Rocky Arbor State Park in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. It's a nicely wooded campground with one modern bath house but mostly pit toilets. (This seemed to be a theme in the Wisconsin state parks...new bathrooms are being added). Sites are gravel and some leveling was required. Electric sites are available but you have to haul water. Most of the sites are screened by abundant vegetation from the neighbors and the campground is very shady. Administration is shared with nearby Mirror Lake state park which is very nice.

I have to admit I picked the park from a map because it was located fairly centrally to several things we wanted to visit. I didn't know until I got there that Wisconsin Dells is a neon lit water park roller coaster jukebox of a town! Not our cup of tea at all. But, the park is several miles from town and you don't have to pass through the frenzy if you don't want to. It provided us access to Baraboo, Spring Green, Horicon, and other areas of the dairyland that we wanted to visit.

The only negative I have for the park is that it's located just off the freeway and the traffic noise is pretty loud. If we had been in the sites closest to the freeway I would have gone elsewhere. At the site we had, closer to the modern restroom, it was OK.

Another thing I missed when researching this trip was that Wisconsin state parks require a $10 daily entry fee on top of the camping fee. However, you can buy a yearly pass for $40 and since we were staying in the state two weeks, that made it more bearable.

I would stay here again if my site was far from the freeway.

http://www.mirrorlakewisconsin.com/
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
MidwestDave

Default Wisconsin Campgrounds

Hey Bill, do a web search for Wisconsin campgrounds. There is a bunch of them. I admit most are commercial but the State parks can be hard to book in the summer months. Now that school is about to start up again it should aleviate the problem. No doubt about it Wisconsin has beautiful lakes and parks.