TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-18-2003, 12:47 PM   #11

Default Re: Private Campgrounds

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents!  We purchased a Thousand Trails membership from an 80-year-old couple we found via the internet for $1,000 -- we have no restrictions as far as a "Home Park" and we can go to all TT parks throughout the country.  I think we have some kind of limit in # of days per year, but it it such a high number we'd never even approach it.  Some memberships do have rules about consecutive nights in the system (if you are 5 nights in, then the next 5 nights are out), but our membership does not have that restriction.  

There are several parks within a few hours drive from our home (we are in Northern CA).  They are mostly on the West and East Coasts, and our membership fee is $500/year.  I believe we can add an RPI membership for $49/year.  You can host group events (family reunions, etc.) for a reasonable fee and there are usually small restaurants that serve breakfast.  Many times there is entertainment, Karaoke nights, craft fairs, ice cream nights, etc.  

Something that has not been mentioned is the quality and location of these parks as well as the quality of the clientele.  Only members are allowed, there are many amentities at every park, and I feel that our children are very safe in these parks (since the membership info is more substantial on these folks than someone just showing up with $).  There is a park near Yosemite, Russian River, Tahoe, Santa Barbara and many more desirable locations.  

My biggest advice is figure out what your needs are, visit a park, and if you want to buy be patient and shop for a deal from a private party (never buy one during the sales pitch).

Good luck and happy camping!  
Old 04-19-2003, 01:50 AM   #12
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
There are several parks within a few hours drive from our home (we are in Northern CA).  You can host group events (family reunions, etc.) for a reasonable fee...
Not to be presumptious, but if you have the ability to do this, I will keep you in mind... as the group grows out here on the west coast....we might be able to arrange a West Coast get-together, and if all works, maybe we (well I) could ask you get information and consider hosting it..?..  I am not sure how many TMers we have out here and how many know about this site, but  it might be fun sometime to see if we can "awe the west" with our engineering marvels....

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:55 AM   #13
Gene

<quote>Not to be presumptious, but if you have the ability to do this, I will keep you in mind... as the group grows out here on the west coast....we might be able to arrange a West Coast get-together, and if all works, maybe we (well I) could ask you get information and consider hosting it..?.. I am not sure how many TMers we have out here and how many know about this site, but it might be fun sometime to see if we can "awe the west" with our engineering marvels.... </quote>

It may be easier to organize a West Coast get-together with the help of the TrailManor TrailBlazers. They can supply a list of west coast members and advertise the event in the TrailBlazer newsletter. A chapter is in the works of being organized in that area.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:18 PM   #14
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the heads up Eugene....how do you know about a TrailBlazer group starting up out here?  Are you involved with it?  When I looked into it, there was nothing much set up out here, so I didn't bother.  I agree that a TrailBlazer Chapter would be ideal, but  unles you are on the inside, it's tough knowing what is happening.  However, advertising it there AND here would cover many of the TM owners, even those that are NOT TrailBlazers.

Thanks again,

Larry
Old 04-19-2003, 04:44 PM   #15

We'd be happy to help organize something on the West Coast -- I've actually seen a trailmanor in front of a house just a block and a half away from us!!  

At the moment, however, we are getting ready to go on a one-week trip to the Thousand Trails site in Santa Barbara, called Rancho Oso.  And, in June/July, my husband has a 6 week sabatical and we will be traveling to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Colorado, New Mexico, Mt. Rushmoor and then come back through the Northwest.  With 3 kids ages 12, 10,and 7, it should be memorable.  So...we've been busy spiffing up our TM (we've only taken a few short trips in it so far), and we want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone for all the help on this site.  It has been invaluable!!
Old 04-20-2003, 03:02 AM   #16
Windbreaker

Have you joined the TM TrailBlazers? They have rallys twice a year and one of the goals is to introduce campgrounds that have something special to offer that others might not know about or have tried.

We have only been to two and both were great. The first was hard to find even with a map but it was well worth it and it was close to an outlet mall. Who would have thought you could be so well hidden in the country yet so close to good shopping? The other was in the middle of a triangle of three towns. One town was know for its flea market, one for its flowers and the last has music. What more could you want. (even if it was by a busy highway that kept you awake at night)

Check out the TrailBlazers you might find good camping friends. We are planning to host a rally in the fall of '04 in a very unique area.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:05 AM   #17
Windbreaker

Sorry about the above I did not read the whole thread until I had posted.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:53 AM   #18
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
We'd be happy to help organize something on the West Coast -- I've actually seen a trailmanor in front of a house just a block and a half away from us!!

Where abouts do you live? It might be mine that you have seen. :

I would think that I wouldn't even consider a get together until very late summer or early fall...I was just thinking that if there appeared to be enough interest, it might be worth organizing at some point.

Enjoy your trip south and drive safely.

Larry
Old 04-20-2003, 08:28 AM   #19

We are in West San Jose -- I believe the street w/the Trailmanor is Andrea Drive.  I"m guessing it's not you because it looks like hey have a Toyota Sequoia (which is what we have) to pull it with -- and I don't think that's what you mentioned you were pulling yours with (in a previous post).  Anyway, I've seen it parked on the street for an extended period of time, then gone for several months.  Once in a while it reappears!  I need to introduce myself to them.

We hope to have a safe trip -- we'll pick up some extended mirrors at Camping World in Morgan Hill on our way out of town.  Just had the oven fixed, the toilet bolted down more securely, had new tires put on, reattached new bed tracks (did that ourselves!), put in a new anode rod, washed, dyed, and rehung the curtains....all great preventive maintenance from info we've gleaned from this site.  I'm planning to order the over-sink cabinet before our trip this summer -- and would love to put in rolling shelves but am not sure I'm up for the task.  Bought a microwave, toaster, and blender so I think we're set!  

We also figured out that we can hang 4 bikes on the back of the Sequoia and still hitch up the TM -- only thing is we can't open it with the bikes on, but we think the invconvenience is worth it.

Happy Camping!!!
~Teresa
Old 04-20-2003, 02:53 PM   #20
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Theresa,

Thanks, yeah, I am in North San Jose, (Berryessa), and I pull mine with an S-10 Blazer.
Sounds like you are on top of things as far as maintenence and upgrades goes...maybe we will get a chance to meet and compare at some point in time.
Wow, I have yet to see another TM on the road IN San Jose, I did see 2 when i went to Fort Tejon last summer on I-5 though.

It will be interesting, as I make my trip this summer to Gettysburg, I am going to log how many and where I see other TrailManors....besides what I see at the factory.

Again, have a safe trip, and talk to you when you get back in town.

Larry