TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
momto4girls

Default We finally got to go camping!

We've had our TM since May, but life has been crazy--no time for camping. We finally got to take our TM out this past weekend. We camped at Desoto State Park in NE Alabama. We really enjoyed it. We arrived after dark on Thursday--not by choice. One thing I learned is I definitely need to have the camper packed up the day before we plan to leave. It's too much to try to do it all the same day. We ended up not leaving Birmingham till rush hour--which was unusually horrible (2 bad accidents), and the trip that was supposed to take 2 hours took 3 instead. So I was very thankful I reserved a pull through site. We aren't very experienced at backing the thing up, and I'm so glad we didn't have to back in to a spot in the dark. We'll try that next time.

Desoto is a beautiful park with a lovely campground. If you find yourself on the stretch of I59 between Chattanooga and Birmingham, check it out--it's only about 10-15 minutes off I59--just outside of Ft. Payne.

We stayed till Monday morning, so we had a nice long weekend to relax and unwind. The weather was PERFECT. My girls hung out in their Enos, read books, rode bikes, went on scavenger hunts. I love seeing my 15 yr old playing--really PLAYING with her little sister. I treasure that. I loved having a kitchen and a refrigerator--that was great. Love the big sink. Huge upgrade over tent camping. And I slept SO much better in the TM than in a tent!

I'm already going over my calendar trying to figure out when we can make another trip. I'd love to go out one more time before the holidays. We'll see...

ETA: On Friday we saw another TM roll into the campground! They waved at us as they drove by--lol. I wish I had a chance to meet them, but they only stayed one night. They were gone by the time I got around to taking a walk through the lower loop. It was just so cool to see another TM!
Old 10-05-2016, 05:34 AM   #2
fairweatherfisherman
Site Sponsor

That sounds like a delightful trip. I've been that way many times between Lake Weiss and the Tennessee River and I'm glad to know that State Park is so close to that route.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I will always cherish the memories of camping with my kids in the TM. I also cherish the memories of the tent camping, cabover camping, and '63 Aloha camping too, but the TM has been the best. My daughter still goes camping with us sometimes, she's in her late 20's!