TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
2bcs1jrt

Default Which Ceramic Heater Is Best?

There are many references to Ceramic Heaters for supplementing the propane furnace. I am planning on shopping for one myself this weekend. My TM is small (2518) and we are a bit crowded with 2 humans and 3 dogs. I'd like something small, that is not hot to the touch, does not take up much space, and yet will be strong enough to heat the TM. I also want a thermostat, preferably one that tells you more than just hot and cold so I know what Im setting it for. Oh...and cheap.
Is this something that exists?
Cheri
Old 02-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Ceramic Heaters

Cheri,

I think most all ceramic heaters are pretty much the same. I think we have a "Honeywell" brand in the TM. If there's a Home Depot near you, go check their inventory out. A few weeks ago I was in a store and they were clearancing most of their heating devices (including ceramic disk heaters) for half price or something like that. Not sure if this sale is still going on, but now's a good time to buy a heater - they're trying to make room for fans and cooling devices.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
2bcs1jrt

I happen to be going there today after work. I did see a Honewell version for $17.95 or something like that online. I wasn't sure if I can get away with the lower power ones or if I need the 1500 watt (?) type.
Cheri
Old 02-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
BrigCA61

We have a 1500 watt Honeywell that has a fan, is cool to the touch and has a safety shut-off. If one of the dogs stands too close to it, it will shut off until the dog stands back again. We keep it in the hall nearest the bed blowing toward the front slide out where we are until we go to sleep when it's put on the counter over the fridge facing the back bed. We purchased it at Home Depot late last year and are very happy with it. I believe it was about $60.00. I would not go with less than 1500 watts.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
2bcs1jrt

Well that's 2 for Honeywell and Home Depot.
Good enough for me!
Thanks,
Cheri
Old 02-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Pelonis
Ceramic Disc
Heater The best heater made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Freedom

We've been thinking about replacing the furnace in our TM with a catalytic heater since they don't need electricity to run. Read that as "no battery drain". Olympian has one for around $240, and we also thought about a Buddy heater from Mr. Heater. Has anyone tried either of these? I think they would be great for boondocking!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:02 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jim -

Just a couple thoughts. Not intended to be negative, just things to think about.

One (or both?) of these won't operate at altitude. How high do you plan to camp?

These are radiant heaters, no fan. If you put it in your furnace space, anything in front of it may get hot. There was a related discussion a couple weeks ago about blankets, etc, falling in front. Have you also thought about the legs of the person sitting there?

I think (check me on this) that both of these need high-pressure propane right out of the bottle. The furnace uses low-pressure propane (out of the regulator). So you can't simply disconnect the propane line from the furnace and reconnect it to the cat heater.

On the other hand, I think the furnace is an expensive item. If you remove it, you might be able to sell it for more than the cost of the cat heater.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

We've got the small Buddy Heater (4000/9000 BTU). It's worked great for us in temperatures as low as mid-40s. I'll run the furnace to determine a comfortable setting on the thermostat and then lower it a bit. Then, I leave the catalytic heater running. I've never heard the furnace kick on, which means that it easily keeps the TM warm under the aformetioned conditions. No noise!! -- At or near sea level. Cabelas has it for $80.00 + shipping

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
2bcs1jrt

So I ended up ordering online. As Nick said, there were none in the stores. I ordered a Honeywell ocillating ceramic heater 1500 watts programable with led display of both room temp and programed temp. $35 plus shipping. I was very proud of my find. Then I saw an epinions review...the only review...it said "worked well before the fire started" WHAT! This has not been my day.

Cheri