TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
fcullum

Default Velcro strips and glue

Our TM is 3 years old. The velcro strips are no longer sticking to the walls in several places. Do we need to reglue and if so what kind of glue do you recommend we use. Do we need to replace the whole velcro strip with a new strip?
Has anyone else had a problem with their velcro strips not sticking?
We love our 2720 TM. The towing is great and so is the gas mileage!
Thanks for any help.
fcullum
Old 11-05-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
2bcs1jrt

Many folks have had this problem. As a trial member, you may not be able to access the sections on velcro. I have a 1996 TM and I tried a couple of "industrial" type velcros that didn't stay put. The one that finally worked is "marine grade" which withstands extreme temps and moisture. It has worked great for 2 years and counting. The only source Ive found for it is online at Sailors Solutions. Here is a link to the item. http://www.sailorssolutions.com/inde...ils&Item=VLC01

Use mineral spirits to get the old glue off first and be careful cuz the paint will come off too. I masked the area first.
If you can access the velcro sections, others have come up with different solutions.

Hope this helps.

Cheri
Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
mtnguy

I have been reglueing mine with "All Purpose Household Goop" which works decent for a while, but eventially still comes loss. Last time I wiped the area down with IPA 1st, and that seemed to help some. I heard the new TMs use velco "dots" screwed into the wall. I am thinking about using a small screw on each end of the velcro to see if that works.

Chap
Old 11-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
flyguy

Super glue works for me.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
fcullum

Thanks everyone, you sure respond quickly!
fcullum
Old 11-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
evans27292

call the factory, talk to adam and order the new round disk about the size of a quarter they have glue plus a screw. the cost is less than .30cents each. they look better than the long strips and they match the wall color. i just removed the old velco cleaned the addh. with alcohol.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
mtnguy

Cheri, I used IPA to clean the area before reglueing, and it pretty much took care of the old glue and marks.

Chap
Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
2bcs1jrt

Mineral Spirits was the suggestion of Ed at TM. It did work and there is no hint of the velcro coming loose in any way. I did have to be really careful though..Someone else had used rubber cement of some sort and it had dripped brown gook everywhere. It's a task long over with though.

Cheri
Old 11-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
Larry_Loo

Default Weather-resistant hooks from McMaster-Carr

Over 2 years ago my wife and I removed the "Industrial Grade" Velcro hook material from our TM's walls and replaced it with "Super Adhesive" hook strips. Now the ends of some of those "Super Adhesive" strips have been pulling away from the walls - probably due to our hot summers here in California's Central Valley. Therefore I ordered 30' of "Weather-resistant" Velcro hook from McMasters (comes only in black, unfortunately) but so far have not taken the time to apply it. This polyester Velcro is said to resist temperatures as high as 225 deg. The adhesive on other types of Velcro only withstand temperatures up to 180 deg. I hope that this will prove to be a long lasting solution for us.

If you want to look at this material, go to page 3341 at McMaster-Carr's website. Below the listing for Weather-resistant stuff you'll find Velcro washers, circles and squares. The washers (with a hole in their center) are probably what the TM factory sells.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #10
2bcs1jrt

The marine grade hook and loop that I sent the link for comes in black, white, one inch and two inch. It's self adhesive and looks just like the regular stuff but it holds perfectly. I do not baby it at all. Not even a corner coming loose.

Cheri