TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
joneskd

Default Prodigy brake controller NC "Not Connected" error

I have a 2004 3023 which we bought in 2005 used in very good condition. Have had no problems with it until a year ago the brake controller started to show NC for Not Connector but the error eventually went away. This last year on a trip, last leg home. The prodigy brake controller intermittently started showing NC again for not connected. To make a long story short I got out and unplugged the connector between the pickup and the trailer. Still no connection. So I started off again and the controller continued to show intermittent NC. About 2 hours from home the NC showed constantly and I drove the rest of the way home on pickup brakes. Since then the trailer has been sitting at home for about 4 months now and have not taken it in to have it checked. So I decided to hook my pickup again to the trailer to see if the problem was still there and now everything seems to be working again, no NC error on the controller but I don't trust it. Does anyone have a clue what is causing this problem?
Old 01-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
grakin

There's a handful of causes, but basically they are:

1. There's not a good ground between the TM and the trailer. You can test that one by watching to see if the marker lights on the TM flicker or go off when the "NC" appears.

2. There is a loose wire or terminal on the tow vehicle side going from the brake controller to the 7-way plug. Check any splices you have there, and check to make sure the terminal is making good contact.

3. There is a loose wire or terminal on the TM side going from the 7-way plug to the brakes. I *think* the wire goes from the 7-way to one wheel, then branches to the other wheel. Check the splices again and make sure the 7-way terminal is clean and making good contact. Maybe someone else will describe the exact routing - I'm in my TM right now but it's too darn cold to crawl under it and look at wires!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
mtnguy

I had the same problem on my Valley Oddessey once, and I just jiggled the connection at the Bargman plug, and it straightened out OK. I now use WD-40 sprayed in the plug every now and then to keep those contacts clean & lubed.

Chap
Old 01-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Smile cure for brake control problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneskd View Post
I have a 2004 3023 which we bought in 2005 used in very good condition. Have had no problems with it until a year ago the brake controller started to show NC for Not Connector but the error eventually went away. This last year on a trip, last leg home. The prodigy brake controller intermittently started showing NC again for not connected. To make a long story short I got out and unplugged the connector between the pickup and the trailer. Still no connection. So I started off again and the controller continued to show intermittent NC. About 2 hours from home the NC showed constantly and I drove the rest of the way home on pickup brakes. Since then the trailer has been sitting at home for about 4 months now and have not taken it in to have it checked. So I decided to hook my pickup again to the trailer to see if the problem was still there and now everything seems to be working again, no NC error on the controller but I don't trust it. Does anyone have a clue what is causing this problem?
Had the same problem with my TM two years ago. The solution was simple. All that was needed was to clean the connector at the towing vehicle. Lift the cover and check for corrosion and clean with a good contact cleaner. This should solve your problem.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

I had the same problem going to Yellowstone last Summer. On mine, the wire insulation had worn through from rubbing on the square axle where the wires went from one wheel to the other. It was hidden behind a cable tie. I cut the cable tie, covered the wire with electrical tape put a new cable tie on. That solved the problem. I felt that I was lucky to find the short because it was hidden.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
larsdennert

Also check the ground on the actual controller. It often needs to be a dedicated run to the battery. NC is No connection.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
mgoblue911

Default Brake Controller showing NC

My problem was very similar to Frenchy's. In fact, it occurred as we were headed to Yellowstone as well, however we were in South Dakota, at the Rafter J campground outside of Mt. Rushmore. Ours was a bad ground also. The insulation had worn off right where the wire passed through the hub, so that it could not be seen until we had broken down the whole hub assembly. What a pain... Replaced the short piece of wire, reassembled, and all was well the rest of the trip. The toughest part is finding the short.