TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
Shandysplace

Default Indicator

This is precisely our issue. Our indicator turns red long before the tank is empty. KOA charges a 5 gal minimum @ $3.49/gal. Twice now based on the indicator, we're paid the minimum when the tank only took 1.5 gal each time.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Warranty?

Tim
Old 12-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
And is this really the way it works?

Initially I thought that was how it worked too. But was told that, no, it was just an indicator, not an automatic switchover valve. But I never tested it. And maybe I misunderstood the technician.

Because with this mode of operation there's no exact way of telling which tank it's using, whether it has switched to the other tank or not. The pointer does not tell you if it has already switched, and the gauge is rather arbitrary; a small nudge and it changes readings. Maybe that's what the technician was implying.
My feeling exactly, that is why the bottle that isnt being used is off. Also turn the bottle off before leaving the CG thats just me though. The DW car has auto everything and the rare occasions that I drive it I reset everything to manual. Guess that makes me a control freak????????

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
Scott O

So the arrow does have a function, the tank that it points to is the one the indicator represents? Dang, I have learned something today!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #15
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

WOW I know how the system works & all of the different comments could confuse me

I usually leave one tank off just so I know I have LP available for sure since there is no real indicator as to when the second tank takes over.

Now I don't BoonDock though so I have no worries about running out of LP while using Fridge.

Now as for my visual indicator it works fine sorta like a Automobile fuel guage. It first shows Green then as the tank is used it slowly shows more red until totally red. I have tested the auto change over which also works fine.

The way we do it is when the tank is emptied we no longer have ignition so we just go out & turn second tank on which almost immediately restores ignition. Since I have a hard tank cover I can't actually see the visual indicator so I don't bother with switching the 3 way lever.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
This is precisely our issue. Our indicator turns red long before the tank is empty. KOA charges a 5 gal minimum @ $3.49/gal. Twice now based on the indicator, we're paid the minimum when the tank only took 1.5 gal each time.
Yes, you've jogged my memory. Something like that happened to us early on as well. The read-out, and perhaps the internal switch-over mechanism, seem to be too inaccurate or unreliable leaving a lot of propane in a supposedly empty tank..

We decided that the only way to be sure a tank is empty is to run it dry with the other one turned off. .
Old 12-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #17
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Yes, you've jogged my memory. Something like that happened to us early on as well. The read-out, and perhaps the internal switch-over mechanism, seem to be too inaccurate or unreliable leaving a lot of propane in a supposedly empty tank..

We decided that the only way to be sure a tank is empty is to run it dry with the other one turned off. .
Ditto
Old 12-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #18
Shandysplace

Default Thanks

We appreciate all the responses to our issue and have decided based on them to open only one tank and use it until it's empty.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #19
TM2619

Another option (used on my prior tent pop up, worked great): For about $20, buy a propane tank gauge at your local Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, or even Wal Mart (link below). Remove your auto switchover system and hook up this gauge between the one tank you're using and the line to the camper. From my experience, these are relatively accurate. When the gauge shows empty, switch it to your other tank. The tank without the gauge attached is obviously the one you remove and fill.

Example: http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDEQ8gIwAQ#
Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #20
Brutus

We don't use any fancy indicators, just somebody saying "Crap, the gas is out". Works great except for losing the furnace in really cold weather in the middle of the night. We carry an adapter that hooks up one of those portable 16.4 oz Coleman bottles to the 20lb tank connector. ...and we always have a Coleman bottle with us for the portable Sunbeam ElCheapo gas grill. Saves the day in an emergency. Have we ever had to use it? Nope...