TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2003, 09:21 AM   #1
grampa

Default Towing with Toyota Tacoma

Wife and I have retired and want to do a lot of traveling. Our retirement is not overly generous but comfortable. We own a 1998 Toyota Tacoma,140hp, 4-cylinder, 5speed pickup. We have borrowed a friends Coleman camper that weighed in at 3340 lbs. The total weight, per truck stop scales, of both truck and trailer, with full fuel, and camper full of supplies and propane and with 2 passengers in truck was 6478 lbs. Just below the recommended max GCWR of 6500 lbs. If I read the TM website correctly I could only tow the 2619 or 2710 models with this truck. Has anyone out there towed a TM with a compact pickup? When we tow the Coleman it handles just fine. Gas mileage is about 23-24mpg on I-10, and 18-21mpg through the Tenn. mountains. We like the many features of the TM, expecially, shower,and the lack of canvas. Any advice along the line of what the biggest TM model i can tow with this truck? Thank you. Grampa.