TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2022, 04:40 PM   #1
Serenity

Default I need Help

So I posted here awhile back asking if I could tow a 2008 3124KB. We purchased one from a dealer but now they are telling us that there is no way that we can tow it.

So we went to pick it up this weekend and the first problem is that the swing hitch prevented us from hooking up our weight distribution kit. We have a Reese Pro with sway. For one thing, the sway arms were too long. They were supposed to connect right where the swing hitch cross bar is. Also, you have to connect the weight distributor exactly 27" back and there was a nut in the way that prevented this. So we tried to hook it up without the weight distribution and the dealership said that our car sank too low to drive it like that.

So after looking on this forum, I saw that with SOME weight distributors, this may happen. So we decided that maybe we can just try to get a different weight distribution kit and try again.

We called the dealership to ask them if it would be safe just long enough to drive home (three and a half hours) and then we could get a different weight distributor. They are saying that our car (Infinity QX60) can not have a weight distributor on it because it would tear up the frame. They are also saying that it would not be safe to drive home without it because if we so much as hit a bump or if we have to sway to avoid anything, that it will force us off of the road.

I don't understand any of it because our vehicle can tow up to 5,000 pounds and the GVWR is 4800. I understand that it is cutting it a little close but my understanding was that it should be fine to at least bring it home. But I guess if we can't use a weight distributor that would in all likelihood, be a deal breaker. We even discussed the possibility of going ahead with the purchase and just sitting on it for a year until we can hopefully trade in our TV for something a little more suited for towing.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any suggestions. We really want to start camping. We moved to Colorado to enjoy nature more and then Covid hit and we just haven't been able to do that. And honestly, tent camping with two very young children scares me a little.
Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3124kb, qx60, swing hitch, towing, weight distribution