TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
RollingStones

Default Propane sensor

Hi TM lovers,
We had havoc with the propane sensor this weekend. The first time it went off, the door was open and all the fans were on. Again last night when we were all sleeping it went off again. Is there a battery on the sensor that may be low? The manual doesn't mention a battery. My husband disconnected it through the bathroom cabinet but I'm not comfortable leaving it off. Looking for an easy answer and not a trip the RV mechanic.
There was no smell of propane either time.

Thanks for any suggestions
Kristin
Old 07-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There is no battery in the propane sensor.

Something like hair spray, especially if confined to the cabinet in the bathroom, can set it off.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
DC Randy

Kristin: Same thing happened to me when I picked up my new TM last fall. Drove me crazy! There are no batteries in the detector (which I found disturbing). I too, finally cut the wires to shut it up! But, like yourself, I didn't like NOT having a detector.

Problem solved! I went to Target, and they sell a CO and propane sensor detector that plugs in AND has a battery. I use a an extension cord next to the fridge, and place it on the floor near the front of the fridge.

I think the problem with the detector that comes from the factory, is that if your onboard battery DROPS below a certain charge level, it causes the battery to go off. Not sure if you were plugged into shore power, or running off the battery. Either way, check out the detectors you can buy that run off battery and AC.

Hope this helps.
Randy
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
lnussbau

We had our detector go off once, when the wind was just so. It turned out to be the fumes from the water heater being pushed by the wind into the trailer, setting off the alarm. During that trip, we resorted to running the heater long enough to get hot water, then shutting it off (water stays hot a long time), until we next needed it.

Subsequent trips gave us no problem.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Beak12

How does one test to see if the propane alarm is working. Today we were doing some cleaning with the 1 window and the door open. My wife said she smelled propane but the alarm did not go off.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
mtnguy

According to the manual for the CCI Controls model # 7770, depress the button on a Bic lighter, but don't turn the flint wheel. (I use a butane campfire lighter, but blow out the flame and keep the button depressed.) Aim the lighter at the gas sensing area of the sensor for about 5 seconds.....the alarm should start to sound. The alarm will sound until the detector returns to a safe level, or the mute button is pushed.

The manual further states that: This test procedure must be repeated every week or after the power has been interrupted for more than one hour or every time the RV is taken on a trip, whichever occurs first.

Also, power must be on for at least 60 seconds before the test.

Since the sensor's power is interrupted everytime you put down the bathroom wall, this seems like an important part of your camping check list.

Chap
Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
tdepouw

Default fuse panel

The unit does go off when the battery is low, nice warning device that you need to charge. You can pull the fuse in the box on the bathroom wall, it is a good idea to check them all and know what each of them control before you get the middle of the night wake-up alarm.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
ckdixon

I noticed ours was going off every couple of minutes while we were taking delivery on our brand new 3124ks. I said something to the dealer about it & was told that it would stop as soon as the battery charged up a little bit. On our first camping trip it started gong off again almost immediately after we set up. We were pluged into AC power & it still continued for several hours. I fixed the problem by cutting the ground wire to it in the bathroom cabinet. I will look for one at Target before our next outing.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

While visiting my local TM dealer I noticed he had a warning posted on the wall regarding a very serious danger with regard to operating the TM fridge on propane. It had the serial numbers of the fridges which had defects which could result in catching the TM of fire. I was in a hurry and my TM was far away in Texas so I didn't get the details of the notice. Has anyone seen this notice (I'll try and get a copy from the dealer if not)?
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Norcold refrigerator recall info

http://thetford.com/HOME/CUSTOMERSUP...4/Default.aspx
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote