TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #31
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
That is the key and is nothing wrong with surge brakes, U-Haul uses them on everything. TMs use electric brakes which have pros and cons (if you lose TV brakes the electric trailer brakes will still work). OTOH if the hitch breaks with a surge brake you may have a problem.

My tow dolly has surge brakes and they work just fine. Are a good choice if you do not have a Bargman and a controller.

Major advantage to electric brakes is that on a slippery surface if the TV starts to slide a little drag from the back end can really help straighten things out.

ps with low enough gears you do not need much power, my 6300 lb class A RV had a 2.4 liter 115 hp TD and was no slouch on the Interstate.
Other disadvantages are they tend to engage the brakes when backing up. Also, if they sit around for long period the cylinders tend to freeze up from rust in humid areas.

It makes sense fo u-haul to use them since most renters don't have brake controllers and in some states the trailers would be at a weight that the state law require brakes.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #32
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I'm on a 10K+ trip right now and just don't think about what gas costs (I think I get about 15 MPG). The luxury of having someplace to eat and sleep that feels like home is worth every penny. No bed bugs and no fast food or disappointing high price restaurants. We have had a few good meals out this trip but they are our choice. Was 80 in Great Smoky NP, day before yesterday and 75 in Florida pan handle today. Enough computer...off to the beach. Just a note on diesel; was shocked that in Canada it was substantially less than regular gas. I have seen it over a buck more driving south.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #33
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Talking This is why I like diesel

An example of why I like diesel:

http://vimeo.com/114495329
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #34
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

OK Mark, I'll bite. What about this video makes you like diesel?

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #35
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
OK Mark, I'll bite. What about this video makes you like diesel?
I had just upgraded the turbo and billet wheel so it whines a little more. With all the other upgrades I have increased HP approximately 50-60 and TQ probably another 75-100 I will be putting it on a dyno and I will know for sure.

Sorry, I did not post a before and after with audio.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #36
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Ahh yes, I also enjoy the whine of my twin turbos, it's a sweet sound; however my engine noise is a bit quieter.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #37
davlin
TrailManor Master

Let's stir the pot on this again, shall we?

Today's prices in my area are $1.65 for unleaded, and $2.65 for diesel. Because Ram makes a diesel half-ton truck, I'll use them for the example. If the 5.7L Hemi with 8-speed tranny and MDS gets a combined mpg of 17, and the diesel gets 23 mpg, that works out to 9.7 cents per mile for the gasser and 11.5 cents for the diesel. Forget that the diesel engine costs almost $3k more.

Since both versions have plenty of towing capacity, what's the argument for diesel again?

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #38
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Are a couple of caveats about a diesel. Big one is that yes, if you play with things you can make goo gobs of power but it will also burn itself up if you do not monitor EGT.

Second is that with direct injection and boost, a gas engine can run on 87 PON with near diesel compression ratios and production engines have passed 125 hp/liter with essentially flat torque from 1800 to 6500.

Final straw is that with the current emissions requirements, diesel costs more than gasoline, including premium.

So in Florida in 2015 I like diesels but they just do not make any economic sense.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #39
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

In my experience with a 2006 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi, and my 2007 Grand Cherokee diesel, the Hemi got 16 combined, but more importantly to me, 20 mpg on the highway, not towing anything, and 14 when towing my 3500 lb TM. Going uphill, I didn't have to downshift nearly as much with the diesel, so the rpms were lower. I tell myself that reduces wear on the engine.

With my 2014 Grand Cherokee diesel and 8-spd tranny, not towing I get 30+ on the highway (the "+" if I only go 65 on the 2-lanes), and 21 while towing my 3500 lb TM. And, uphill is much easier in the diesel.

Where I am, there is currently an 80-cent difference in fuel, while most of the last 3 years there has been a 20 - 30-cent difference. Comparing while there is a large disparity in pricing is like claiming there is/is not global temp change based on a single location.

I am biased, but since I began towing with diesels, I much prefer the available power, and especially the improved mpg when towing. If I was not towing, I wouldn't go with a diesel. Just my reasons for why I like diesel, for what I use my tow vehicle for.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #40
davlin
TrailManor Master

So what I'm hearing is there are good reasons to go with a diesel engine in your TV, but not because it's more economical?

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote