TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #31
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My Ford F150 has a version of this. It is part of the anti sway feature. It will automatically apply brakes on one side or the other to bring trailer sway under control.
Does your truck also have a Built-In brake controller?

Elsewhere I've heard that these advanced features (anti-sway, ABS integration) are only available when the truck's manufacturer builds in the brake controller and integrates it with the truck's electronics. Just looking to verify that.

Has anybody seen a review/test of this stuff?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #32
Redhawk

Originally Posted by PopBeavers
On my 3008 GMC 2500HD truck, when tow haul mode is engaged and the ABS brakes activate, the on-board computer in the truck pulses the electric power to the trailer brakes.

Well heck, it's a 3008 model, I bet it has a lot of stuff others don't!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #33
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Just to follow up with all of you:

I figured out what was causing the huge sag onto the back of my TV. It was a fairly simple fix (after buying the needed tools). The issue all allong was the WDH was not adjusted properly to my TV by u-haul. being inexpierienced with WDH's I had absolutly no idea. What also hurt my situation is that I did not have the WDH's manual. The person I purchased the used TM was maticulouse about keeping all info. but murphy's law prevails. Anyhow, when the WDH was properly adjusted I remeasured the front and rear wheel fenders to see only a 1/2" EVEN drop on both the front and rear wheel axle on my TV (in my case is a toyota sienna). I did go ahead and purchase a prodegy p3 break controller and will have u-haul switch out their journey HD controler as soon as I get it in the mail. I also purchased the air lift 1000 which I may not even need at this point but I'll probably install it anyway since its already on the way to me. Besides it will give me the ability to make fine tune adjustments if I need just a bit more clearance between the ground and the underside of the WDH assembly.

I've enjoyed reading all of the comments made. thanks again
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post

Elsewhere I've heard that these advanced features (anti-sway, ABS integration) are only available when the truck's manufacturer builds in the brake controller and integrates it with the truck's electronics. Just looking to verify that.

Yes, I have the built in brake controller and love it.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #35
PopBeavers

Quote:

Yes, it is a built in controller. I suspect it taps into the hydraulic brake line like the Jordon, (or is the the Brake Smart).

I definatly like it better than the Prodigy knockoff that I have in the 1500 Chevy.

I too, wich my 2008 was a 3008.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #36
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcrazed View Post
....I also purchased the air lift 1000 which I may not even need at this point but I'll probably install it anyway since its already on the way to me. Besides it will give me the ability to make fine tune adjustments if I need just a bit more clearance between the ground and the underside of the WDH assembly.....
The proper way to set up the air lift and WDH for towing is to:

1) Load the tow vehicle with your stuff.
2) Level the tow vehicle with the air lift.
3) Attach the trailer. Do not readjust the air lift.
4) Level the trailer and tow vehicle with the WDH adjustments.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #37
brulaz

Personally, I would only use an airlift when not towing with a WDH. It just makes setting up the WDH more difficult and adds zero value IMHO.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #38
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Quote:
Personally, I would only use an airlift when not towing with a WDH. It just makes setting up the WDH more difficult and adds zero value IMHO.
it depends on your towing vehicle... I've done extensive resurch and reading into the matter at this point and can tell you that if you are towing with a low riding TV like I am (toyota sienna), an air lift adds tremendouse value. I just installed it today and can tell you its amazing the differance. having said this I would NEVER tow without a WDH. an air lift is NOT a substitute for having a good and well adjusted WDH. what an air lift does is adds a bit of hight and more importantly stifness to your already low riding and soft riding TV. when you have a toyota with a class 3 hitch, the hitch itself rides inches from the floor so gaining a couple of inches is the differance between a possible bottoming out and it almost never happening. I can also tell you first hand that the handling when towing with an air lift 1000 is soooooo much better as the shocks on a sienna are made for smooth ride not towing. If however your TV is a truck (as the one in your avater) than sure you probably don't need any air lift system as a truck is by design a rougher, stiffer, bouncier ride. Trucks are desighned for towing where a sienna mini van is designed for transport. so when you are towing you have to make sertain adjustments and IMHO an air lift is one of them.

I also installed the prodegy p3 break controller and now between the WDH adjusted properly, air lift 1000 for additional stability, and a much more advanced Break Controler.... I am soooooooo much happier.
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #39
brulaz

Quote:
an air lift is NOT a substitute for having a good and well adjusted WDH. what an air lift does is adds a bit of hight and more importantly stifness to your already low riding and soft riding TV.
Does your air lift raise the whole vehicle, increasing the ground clearance and stiffness front as well as rear? It sounds like you have adjustable air shock absorbers on all four wheels. A very nice feature from what I've heard.

I was thinking of the air "pillows" I've seen, which are for the rear axle only and don't seem as useful.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:42 AM   #40
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Just to follow up with all of you:

I figured out what was causing the huge sag onto the back of my TV. It was a fairly simple fix (after buying the needed tools). The issue all allong was the WDH was not adjusted properly to my TV by u-haul. being inexpierienced with WDH's I had absolutly no idea. What also hurt my situation is that I did not have the WDH's manual. The person I purchased the used TM was maticulouse about keeping all info. but murphy's law prevails. Anyhow, when the WDH was properly adjusted I remeasured the front and rear wheel fenders to see only a 1/2" EVEN drop on both the front and rear wheel axle on my TV (in my case is a toyota sienna). I did go ahead and purchase a prodegy p3 break controller and will have u-haul switch out their journey HD controler as soon as I get it in the mail. I also purchased the air lift 1000 which I may not even need at this point but I'll probably install it anyway since its already on the way to me. Besides it will give me the ability to make fine tune adjustments if I need just a bit more clearance between the ground and the underside of the WDH assembly.

I've enjoyed reading all of the comments made. thanks again

The best part is that by studying up and getting into your own adjustments, you've got a much better handle about what's going on as you tow.

A couple more items:
- Join this forum for $12. One day soon you'll be wondering where everything you've been reading went.
- As you tow, check your rig carefully every time you stop (tires, bearing temps with the back of your hand, connections, etc).
- When you're loaded up, stop by the scale and get 3 weighings for all axles: 1) With everything set up, 2) with the WDH chains slacked, and 3) With the TM parked off in the parking lot, get both axles of the TV. This site will tell you where they are and how they work: http://catscale.com/
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote