TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
TiniTime

Red face Loose 7 pin TV to TM connection

I have trouble keeping my TM power cable connected to the TV. Does anyone have a suggestion for keeping a tight connection. The cover will sort of snap down over the tab on the top of the plug but it is so loose that the slightest vibration causes me to lose brakes and lights on the TM. I have resorted to wiring the plug into the outlet.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Whoa, not good! First thought - the cover is held down against the plug by the pressure of a spring. Is the spring still there, and is it springy? Another thing - does the cover open upward? It should. If the socket is mounted upside down, you'll have the problem you describe.

If the above isn't helpful, it sounds like the plastic clip / retainer parts have gotten worn down and rounded, so they no longer latch. When you unplug the plug, you do lift the cover, right, and not just yank the plug out? If the parts are rounded, you might be able to reform them with a file, but I'm not sure how long that would last.

'Nuther silly question - I'm presuming that you have plenty of slack in the trailer's cable, right? If you turn a sharp corner and the plug pulls out, it will rapidly wear down the latch parts.

Rather than wiring the plug into the outlet, perhaps you could wire the cover down so that the remaining edge of the latch holds tight. And rather than wiring it, which is a pain, a wide rubber band cut from a bicyle inner tube might be easier to deal with. But both of these sound pretty rinky-dink. A new plug or outlet (you'll need to examine it to determine which one is worn down) may be the only good answer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

TiniTime,

I never had mine come out, but I was not comfortable with how easily it could come out with just a tug on the cable. I also had seen where several people here on the board reported that their cable had come out and dragged on the ground wearing the cable into or ruining the plug.

So when ever I hook up I take a nylon cable tie and put around the cap and the plug so that the lock on the cap will NOT let the plug come out until I want it to... I always carry a pocket knife and when I want to unhook I just cut the cable tie and throw it away.

I've never had a problem doing this and the piece of mind is well worth the effort.

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
TiniTime

Thank you both for the quick responses. The cover does lift up but there has never been any spring involved that i'm aware of. There is plenty of slack; the plug never completely pulls loose but it easily jiggles to the point that I lose contact. I have a friend who wraps the cover and plug with electrical tape to keep a tight connection. I'm thinking of trying a double-sided velcro strip that I could reuse throughout a trip. I appreciate the help on this issue. --Jerry & Joy Suit
Old 03-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
larsdennert

Replac the socket if the spring loaded cap doesn't have the clip to hold the plug in place.