TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #51
Robert's TM

I,d be interested in how u hooked up ur wireless cam
Old 07-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #52
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Like this. Mounting at the top blocked the licence plate light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rc2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	10367  
Old 03-31-2015, 09:44 PM   #53
stormpeakco

Default wireless rear view camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by atunesmith View Post
TM newbie's first post. Hope I get this right. Many thanks for all the priceless mod info. Researched rear cam systems and collected these as selection criteria:

CCD much preferred over CMOS camera - much better pic detail and quality.
TFT LCD monitor preferred, minimum 4.5", but CCD camera makes other monitors look good enough.
Minimum 12 LED camera lights for optimum night vision and depth.
Minimum wide angle view = 100 deg. (most I see are 120+ anyway)
Switchable Reverse/Mirror feature
Display clips onto TV rear view mirror
Weatherproof (some publish metrics)
Metal housings and brackets - not plastic
Shock-proof construction (there are some over-my head metrics out there)
Hard wire it. Many posts on wireless units still having problems with signal noise and interference. Easy to run wires under the tow vehicle and trailer. Protective cable covers cheap and available
Agree with cig lighter power. Huge safety benefit having it on all the time. (Many insurance companies agree.) Even showing up for motorcycles!

Optional:
Three camera mounting bolts on the camera sides for easy precise aiming.
Some displays include other monitor inputs - DVD, GPS, smart phone...
Two cameras and cables (for TM and TV) nice for hookup and TV safety benefits.
Remote control? (Have to reach to find the remote anyway??)
Wireless mic and audio (I prefer to yell out the window!)

All of the above may cost a bit more, but with exception of DVD, remote, audio and home theater stuff, I can't justify skipping any other features.

I'll have to mount to top of TM, unless I want to keep a close eye on the bike rack. Thief deterrent. Also Bill's comment about headlights "blinding" the camera.

iPhone and Android setups sound promising if you could tap the phone's video-out and run it into a decent sized display. Small iPad or Android tablet might work well ($$$). But still trying minimize smart phone interaction in the car - again for safety.

BTW - Best value bike rack for max two bikes seems to be the relatively new Kuat Beta for frame mounted receiver hitch. Simple/strong/light aluminum design and construction. Tilt-away. Folds up small. Selling like hotcakes. Had to dig a little to find in stock.

Feedback welcome. This site rocks.
Agreed. Forum Rocks and the collaboration is very much appreciated.
Just picked up our new 2720 and on the drive home driving I-70 above 10K', I desperately wanted to see behind the TM before passing some tractor trailers struggling to maintain 30 mph up the pass.
I recall speaking with a few TMOs on this forum (thank you for your insight) and since our sojourn, I have been searching wired and wireless rear view camera systems. Drawbacks and limited satisfaction clearly is a common theme with many of the higher end (price) wireless systems (Voyager, RVS, Tadibros, Rydeen etc etc).

Searching other RV forums, I reviewed a rear view camera discussion on airforum (over 320 posts). Toward the end of '14 and early '15 the discussion focused on the 12V Netgear router wireless based system from RVrearviewcamera.com. It uses a camera (external or internally mounted), digital wireless router (in the front of the TT-our two 12V cigarette lighter plugs remain live when our TM is collapsed) and use of a newer generation smartphone.

http://www.rvrearviewcamera.com/home.html
the two minute video is impressive as are the early reports by the airstreamers who have installed one...appears this wireless based system is newer technology & is ~0.5 times the cost of the Voyager...thoughts, insight and any experience from our members??
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:00 PM   #54
stormpeakco

Default more from rvrearviewcamera.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormpeakco View Post
Agreed. Forum Rocks and the collaboration is very much appreciated.
Just picked up our new 2720 and on the drive home driving I-70 above 10K', I desperately wanted to see behind the TM before passing some tractor trailers struggling to maintain 30 mph up the pass.
I recall speaking with a few TMOs on this forum (thank you for your insight) and since our sojourn, I have been searching wired and wireless rear view camera systems. Drawbacks and limited satisfaction clearly is a common with many of the higher end (price) wireless systems (Voyager, RVS, Tadibros, Rydeen etc etc).

Searching other RV forums, I reviewed a rear view camera discussion on airforum (over 320 posts). Toward the end of '14 and early '15 the discussion focused on the 12V Netgear router wireless based system from RVrearviewcamera.com. It uses a camera (external or internally mounted), digital wireless router (in the front of the TT-our two 12V cigarette lighter plugs remain live when our TM is collapsed) and use of your newer generation smartphone.

http://www.rvrearviewcamera.com/home.html
the two minute video is impressive as are the early reports by the airstreamers who have installed one...appears this wireless based system is newer technology & is ~0.5 times the cost of the Voyager...thoughts, insight and any experience from our members??
Asked 3 questions (~8P mtn time) and received an answer back in 1-2 hrs. Wow.

Dave,

Thanks for your interest in our camera system. The answers to your questions are as follows:

1) The signal from the camera to the router is wireless as is the router signal to the phone. The only wires necessary are the 12 vDC wires that power the camera and the router. For that we provide 2 male cigarette lighter type cords. I have a 30' trailer with the camera on the outside rear and the router in a front interior cabinet and there's no problem with the camera signal reaching the router at that distance.

2) The camera is weatherproof, but the router needs to be inside your trailer in a dry location. I wouldn't put it outside in the battery box because humidity and battery fumes would damage it.

3) The Motorola Droid Mini's processor speed (1.7 GHz) should be ample for providing a low latency video image. I've successfully used a Moto-E and its speed is only 1.2 GHz. An unlocked Android 5 would certainly work.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Fred Stokes
RV Rearview Camera Systems LLC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: rvrearviewcamera.com Contact Us: Form Submission
Date: Tue, March 31, 2015 10:33 pm
To: [email protected]

Subject:
blown away by your wonderful looking system and new reviews for RVs
Message or Question:
We have a small collapsible TT (20' long) and I'd like to have full time rear view camera while actively towing behind our durango. 1) I know the signal from the router to the smart phone is wireless but is the signal from camera to router via a wired connection or wireless. 2) the distance from just behind the rooftop AC to the rear 12V cigarette plug in the rear of the durango is under 20'...is this too far so that placing the router in front of the TT (or in the tongue battery box) would be necessary. 3) lastly, not an apple person but have motorola mini-are the microprocessors fast enough? or would buying a used, unlocked android 5 as the designated camera monitor be preferred? thanks. Dave
Old 04-01-2015, 09:33 AM   #55
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Sounds like a nice unit but $439.00 is a bit hard to justify.

Agree that wired is the best way to go but the folding nature of a TM makes it a little hard. Need to run from license plate (easiest place to put camera, along the top, down the arm, and under the trailer (easier).

OTOH I need to do something, the inexpensive unit I put on the back of the TP is erratic at best, signal level in TV is just not strong enough.

But now I should have time to find the real answer since 30 years with my employer was enough.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #56
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormpeakco View Post
Asked 3 questions (~8P mtn time) and received an answer back in 1-2 hrs. Wow.

Dave,

Thanks for your interest in our camera system. The answers to your questions are as follows:

1) The signal from the camera to the router is wireless as is the router signal to the phone. The only wires necessary are the 12 vDC wires that power the camera and the router. For that we provide 2 male cigarette lighter type cords. I have a 30' trailer with the camera on the outside rear and the router in a front interior cabinet and there's no problem with the camera signal reaching the router at that distance.

2) The camera is weatherproof, but the router needs to be inside your trailer in a dry location. I wouldn't put it outside in the battery box because humidity and battery fumes would damage it.

3) The Motorola Droid Mini's processor speed (1.7 GHz) should be ample for providing a low latency video image. I've successfully used a Moto-E and its speed is only 1.2 GHz. An unlocked Android 5 would certainly work.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Fred Stokes
RV Rearview Camera Systems LLC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: rvrearviewcamera.com Contact Us: Form Submission
Date: Tue, March 31, 2015 10:33 pm
To: [email protected]

Subject:
blown away by your wonderful looking system and new reviews for RVs
Message or Question:
We have a small collapsible TT (20' long) and I'd like to have full time rear view camera while actively towing behind our durango. 1) I know the signal from the router to the smart phone is wireless but is the signal from camera to router via a wired connection or wireless. 2) the distance from just behind the rooftop AC to the rear 12V cigarette plug in the rear of the durango is under 20'...is this too far so that placing the router in front of the TT (or in the tongue battery box) would be necessary. 3) lastly, not an apple person but have motorola mini-are the microprocessors fast enough? or would buying a used, unlocked android 5 as the designated camera monitor be preferred? thanks. Dave
My question would be where would you into 12v at the front of the TM? What would be inside the TM and have live 12v while shells are down for travel?

Looks pretty cool though. A review on amazon stated that you also need to have an app for it that cost $9.99. My issue is I don't have a smartphone. Wonder if an iPad would work.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #57
moaboy

Great system, but the price is a bit salty. Like Bailey's Mom I'd like to know where you plug them in that is, if the cords are long enough to plug the camera in the socket in the rear and the router using the front socket? Will the sockets work with the shells down?
This system would make solo traveling easier.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:47 PM   #58
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Great system, but the price is a bit salty. Like Bailey's Mom I'd like to know where you plug them in that is, if the cords are long enough to plug the camera in the socket in the rear and the router using the front socket? Will the sockets work with the shells down?
This system would make solo traveling easier.
I agree the price is pretty steep. Because I do travel solo it would be very handy for backing into campsite, and of course seeing traffic on the road. But if I can't use it without a smartphone then I would not even consider it because I refuse to pay that much each month for a smartphone. I did submit a question to the company asking if it could be used with a wifi only iPad. Haven't heard back yet.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #59
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

It is kinda pricey, but as a couple of pointed out, it would come in handy for solo traveling. If someone figures out where to plug in router and if the 12v receptacles work with shells down I'd be interested in taking a closer look at this system.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #60
stormpeakco

Default '15 2720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
My question would be where would you into 12v at the from of the TM? What would be inside the TM and have live 12v while shells are down for travel?

Looks pretty cool though. A review on amazon stated that you also need to have an app for it that cost $9.99. My issue is I don't have a smartphone. Wonder if an iPad would work.

Agree. That video is cool and sans cables (other than for individual device power).

The batteries on the '15 2720QB are on the trailer tongue (and the two TM, 12V cigarette lighter plugs one, anterior to the frig and the other on the floor just anterior to the QB are remain live while collapsed-tested at the dealer).

My most current thought is to velcro mount the camera to the roof-just behind the Coleman-Mach (wind/weather break, removable and slightly away from tampering) and hard wiring (12V) the camera to a pigtail-battery box (via a 10' + 15' CCTV power cables in series, under the solar, vertically down the left side with the solar cables, along the left side of the frame. Uncouple the 10' and 15' before raising the TM, +/- recouple for a security camera out back when boondocking behind one of Walter White's Meth Labs).

We have a 12V cigarette lighter receptacle just inside the tail gate of the Durango to power the router (~17') thus avoid the obligatory re-opening the TM just to unplug the router (vs. the router inside, front of the TM w/remote switch).

A (extrapolating from Fred) smartphone with adequate micropressor speed is integral (iphone 4 is not adequate but iphone 5, newer non-AAPL with android O.S. are a go). Perhaps a used/refurbished "unlocked" smartphone (ebay) may be an alternative if the ipad isn't adequate (reminds me, my wife has a seldom used itouch w/music that may be placed back into active service)??

Many wireless transmitters (other Cos.) are not waterproof.
This seems worthwhile, IF bomb proof (w/o [I]overt noise), can multi-task with an already purchased cell AND if pro installation, RCA cable, hard wiring through the TV and drilling aren't required.

Perhaps contact Fred, check out airforum for additional perusal and congratulations Padgett.