TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
gadusfly

Default Help on new 2720SL

I have an opportunity to buy a new demo 2720SL that was towed and shown at several RV shows. It has everything I need and is about 400 miles from my home. My tow vehicle is a 2000 Tundra V8. Would I need to have WDH or any kind of lifter to pick this thing up? Also, is there anything I should be careful of when buying a TM that was used as a demo? I am totally new to RVing and any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance...Joe
Old 04-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadusfly View Post
I have an opportunity to buy a new demo 2720SL that was towed and shown at several RV shows. It has everything I need and is about 400 miles from my home. My tow vehicle is a 2000 Tundra V8. Would I need to have WDH or any kind of lifter to pick this thing up? Also, is there anything I should be careful of when buying a TM that was used as a demo? I am totally new to RVing and any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance...Joe
To bring the trailer home you will need a brake controller installed on your Tundra. The brake controller activates the electric brakes on the Trailmanor, the brakes on the Tundra alone are not enough. Unless you already have one, whomever installs the brake controller will also install a 7 point connector at the bumper. This provides power for your stop lights, brake lights, brakes, and DC power to recharge your battery on the TM.

You can decide on a WDH later - some people like them because they feel they provide an extra margin of safety, others do without. I don't have a WDH, and tow with a full sized, 1/2 ton pickup.

Depending on the available space at home, or whevever you plan to park the trailer, you might want a trailer dolly to help you move the trailer around. They're less than $100 and are available, I know, at Harbor Freight, and probably other places, and online.

I don't see any problem in buying a demo TM especially if you're getting a good deal on it, and it comes with a full warranty. But I would of course still check to make sure that everything (AC, furnace, water pump, toilet, water heater, etc) works before you leave the lot. Get the sales person to demonstrate how things work, and how the trailer is set up and taken down. Make sure there is an owner's manual that goes with the trailer.

You'll learn the "in and outs" very quickly. Good luck

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
gadusfly

Hi Nick! Thanks so much for the reply. I'm assuming the brake controller you mentioned can be installed anywhere, or is it specific to TM. I towed a 20ft boat with the tundra so I have light connections, but no electrical connection for the TM. Are these universal type parts or specific to TM? Thank you fo your patience...Joe
Old 04-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadusfly View Post
Hi Nick! Thanks so much for the reply. I'm assuming the brake controller you mentioned can be installed anywhere, or is it specific to TM. I towed a 20ft boat with the tundra so I have light connections, but no electrical connection for the TM. Are these universal type parts or specific to TM? Thank you fo your patience...Joe
Brake controllers are really generic in nature. You'd need a brake controller with any good sized RV trailer that has its own brakes. Your boat trailer might not have had it's own brakes and utilized the TV's braking system. Any place that specializes in trailers should be able to install the controller for you, or you can do it yourself.

Look here for some info on brake controllers
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...tid/742176.cfm
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default And here's.......

........the ever popular Prodigy Brake Controller, at a great price!

Prodigy Brake Control by Tekonsha

With video!

HTH

Denny_A
Old 04-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
gadusfly

Default Hi!

Looks like the prodigy brake controller is the way I'll go.I have another question about parking the TM in my garage. The way I read it the 2720SL, with a 2" lifter and low profile AC will measure less than 81" in height. The lowest point of my garage opened is 93". I have a very slight incline on my driveway approach, ( less than 5 degees). I think I should be OK. Anybody have an experience with this? I am really excited about this andand I can't thank you folks enough. Everybody has been so friendly and helpful. I intend to join this website when my 30 days are up and look forward to becoming a member of this community. Thanks....Joe
Old 04-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
gadusfly

The Bargeman is different than the one I used for the boat. Thanks Leon
Old 04-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
mtnguy

I am not sure about the measurements, but be real careful if you have an electric door opener. My TM will go through the door , and clear the opener OK, but it is really close (less than a 1/4") to the bracket that connects the door opener to the door. I will probably raise the door and clamp it in place, and then remove the bracket next time I put the TM in the garage.......especially if I decide to go with 15" wheels and tires on the TM.

mtnguy
Old 04-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
gadusfly

Thanks MTNGUY. If I can ask, What kind of mileage do you get towing the TM with the F-150? I think the TM will clear everything in my garage set-up( I hope!). I will pick it up Friday and bring it home Saturday....Joe
Old 04-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
idaho-steve

Welcome to the club.

I would guess a demo unit would be a great way to go since any factory "bugs" are probably already taken care of by the dealer without any real wear or tear.

Regarding your Tundra, I'd be willing to bet that Toyota has available the 7-pin connector wiring harness that would be a simple swap from your existing 4-pin connecter. You could do it cheaper but the plug-n-play from Toyota would be easiest.

I agree on the Prodigy controller just make sure you mount it so you can easily manually activate the brakes if needed and for the pre-drive test.

As far as the WDH, my experience has been that a 1/2 ton pick-up will very easily tow your TM without. I went a couple of thousand miles without one before I elected to get one as a safety precaution (after reading the various posts here). All in all I consider the WDH as pretty cheap insurance. When a group of deer suddenly popped up in front of me around midnight last fall and I was able to swerve hard and miss all but one, I was very grateful for the added control. RockyMtnRay has some great posts on the subject. Bottom-line a WDH is really for when something suddenly goes wrong -- road debris, blown tire, & other evasive maneuvers where the extra steering grip is really needed.

Finally, I get about 15mph with my F150.

Again, welcome aboard.