TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
earlybird

Default More Thetford questions again

this does not concern curly,we are going buy a used TM,I have heard that some people have had problems with the toilet smelling and fouling the air.Also how much storage does a 2720SD have ? I would appreciate some feedback before we sign on the dotted line.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
NYJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
this does not concern curly,we are going buy a used TM,I have heard that some people have had problems with the toilet smelling and fouling the air.Also how much storage does a 2720SD have ? I would appreciate some feedback before we sign on the dotted line.
Welcome earlybird. You should really repost this as a new topic in the General Discussion section - it will be seen by many more people. Also, if you just joined as a Trial Member, I think you'll have temporary access to a "plumbing" section of the forum so spend time there as this topic has been discussed several times. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Scott O

Do a search on "Thetford"...you'll find everything you could possibly want to know has already been discussed several times!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Earlybird -

As you can see, I've moved your question to the Plumbing section, as others have suggested. It really belongs there, rather than tagged onto an unrelated thread, or dropped in the General Discussion section (where it will rapidly get submerged). Since you are a Trial Member, you will be able to follow it until your Trial Membership runs out. At that point, you'll need to decide if you want to become a Sponsor.

As another suggestion - and not meaning to nitpick you to death - if you have two questions (Thetford and stroage, in this case), it is best to ask them in two separate posts.

And finally, it is often worth checking the TM Technical Library (which is unhandily titled TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else) for articles and tutorials on info like this.

Thanks for understanding, and welcome aboard!

Bill (moderator)
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
hhoenig

Default thetford question

the thetford is one of the best features of the TM. We have never had an odor problem after learning the following procedure. Fan on and keep flushing.
hhoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhoenig View Post
the thetford is one of the best features of the TM. We have never had an odor problem after learning the following procedure. Fan on and keep flushing.
We have never used the fan at all, and have no odor problems as long as the outside temperatures is below around 85 degrees or so.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
thewitzclan

Default stinks to high heaven

we got rid of our thetford stinker last year with a standard rv toilet and separate holding tank, What a pleasant transformation. No more stink in any temp. I studied the physics of the thetford toilet and compared it to a 5 gallon bucket with a strainer and some toilet chemicals. Other than the swirling pump action to stir things up they were identical. How gross is that?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
Al-n-Sue

As you can see already, you'll get lots of opinions. Mine is that I like it very much for a number of reasons. but I think how you use it will dictate your success or failure on how you like it.

We camp mostly in campgrounds with some kind of toilet - either pit toilets or even flush toilets. We use the campground toilets for "#2" and use the TM toilet for liquid waste only. We've been gone as long as 5 days and have not had any smell issues.

If you plan to boondock or camp where there are no facilities, your use of the toilet will differ and could result in some smell. Apparently camping in warmer locales makes it worse.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Alan
Old 02-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
thewitzclan

Default thetford problems

dry docking or any situation i can fill my 2 20 gallon fresh water tanks and use my 18 gallon tote on wheels that i load onto a cargo hitch on my conversion van and haul it easily to any waste dump station. my switch makes it so much like home there is NO worry to do #1 or 2 in day or night and NO pump noise that only swirled waste around. I'm getting sick just thinking about it. This is the only dislike we had with our 3023. Now it is our dream machine. But you are right - to each his own.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I think that it depends on the chemical that you use in the toilet. We use AquaKem and have no odor issues. We use about 4oz for each charge. We use the toilet just like we are at home.

We've tried cheaper chemicals and hed poor results. I won't switch from the AquaKem again.

Right after flushing,we can smell the chemical but we don't mind that smell.