TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #21
Like2Ride

I bought my Mini in January of this year. I really like the concept, and the size. I am extremely unhappy with the complete lack of response from the factory about all the quality issues. I sent an email to customer service and got no response. I sent a seven page letter to the CEO of the company, and never got even an acknowledgement.

But Moving on - a couple of things I have found. My TV is a Chevy Colorado. Even though the trailer weighs in the low 2k range, I didn't feel comfortable till I installed a Weight Distribution Hitch - It was well worth the money for the peace of mind. Also, the brakes on the Mini are smaller than other TMs. The brake controller instructions talk about locking up the brakes on the TM as part of the controller setup. Even after adjusting the brakes - you cannot lock the trailer brakes. You just feel a slight drag when the controller is manually applied to the max. Get a pressure regulator right off. Use the water system at home and fix all the leaks before you leave. Keep checking in the cupboards for leaks, since the fiberboard will not hold up well to water.

With two adults not using the campground facilities, the toilet charge will last about 3 days. Like most propane heaters - this one is noisey and has a large temp swing. I prefer to run the A/C in heat mode if I have street power, since it doesn't cycle on/off all night long. I hope that helps....
Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #22
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Sorry to hear you've had problems.

Regarding the brake controller, you really never want your trailer brakes to lock up, period. Tow vehicles have anti-lock brakes, and trailers don't. This means that the trailer would skid sideways if the trailer brakes locked up, a big problem. It doesn't mean that the trailer brakes are defective, though it does mean that your stopping distance will be longer when you're towing a trailer than when driving solo. Anti-lock brakes would be nice on trailers, but nobody makes them (yet).

Second, I've had Rv's for 30+ years, and I've always used a pressure regulator since I had a problem like this one so long ago I can't remember which RV it was that taught us this same lesson. You never know how much pressure is in the water systems you hook up to (pressure varies a lot within a hilly water system), and this is an easy way to protect your trailer's water lines which are designed to be light weight, but not for holding against unusually high pressures.

I'm a big fan of weight distribution hitches because it keeps the weight on the front wheels when you tow. The front wheels do 2/3 of the braking and all of the steering, both of which are pretty useful on the road.

I hope things are smoother for you from here!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #23
Like2Ride

Mr Adventure - I too have a Prodigy controller, and I believe the Prodigy setup instructions say something to the effect that "to adjust the controller to the point where you can lock up the trailer brakes at 25 mph, then back it off. So my comments were to the new owner of the Mini, that they will not be able to do what the controller instructions say, and don't spend the day trying to figure out what is wrong. Sorry I should have addressed to TamTodd.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #24
camp2canoe

Like2Ride - Many of us carry a small electric ceramic heater for occasions where we have access to 110 volt power. They are much quieter than either the furnace or using the heat strip in the A/C. Ours is about the size of half a loaf of bread and tucks into a corner of a storage area. Sorry to hear about your problems in getting a response from the factory - I think this is one reason TrailManor has what I consider a high dealer turnover. - camp2canoe
Old 12-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #25
cpaharley2008

Default a/c size

what is the size of the a/c in the mini? thanx
Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #26
dalord

I just purchased a TM mini yesterday at the Denver RV Show. I won't get it for about a week.
Keep us updated on how your trip went.
We plan to basically use ours as a traveling toilet and bedroom. My wife is handicapped and I no longer feel secure sending her alone into Roadside Rests in her wheelchair. We hope the mini will allow us to safely access our own restroom.
I would appreciate any experience others have had with the marine type toilet.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #27
dalord

Being a new owner of a TM mini, I am curious about the nature of the quality issues you mentioned.
I am also surprised that TM did not respond to your attempts to communicate with them. Other owners I have heard from seemed to compliment the company's support.