TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Body Damage

Hello To Y'all:

Several weeks ago, while on the way to a great camping/fishing experience, we stopped aned parked at a grocery store to pick up last minute items. When we left the parking lot, I had barely begun moving our tow vehicle when a lady beside us opened her car door, the edge of which impacted the curbside corner of our front shell. The edge frame piece was bent and also some crumpling of the shell sidewall. Since we were in a private parking lot and we were the ones who were moving, my insurance company declared us responsible. They have fixed the door that hit us; it barely had a small dent in its edge. They advised me to find a repair shop and get an estimate.

I contacted our nearest TM dealer who happens to be 400 miles away in Colorado Springs. At their request, I emailed them some photos of the damage. Upon receiving them, the TM dealer contacted me and said that it looked like a lot of damage, that my TM may have to be totalled but that they would get back to me with a preliminary estimate. Let me clarify that the damage does not impede our camping activity or experience one whit. It is 99% cosmetic. We have camped for 10 nights with the damaged trailer with no problem.

The dealer, after about 2 weeks, has finally contacted me and has estimated the cost of repair to our TM at $4,000 to $5,000. Please keep in mind that, and I swear this to be true, I was moving at no more than 2 miles per hour when the damaged occurred.

I have yet to recontact my insurance company as I am ashamed to pass on the TM dealer's estimate, which I consider ridiculous. Even if my insurance company agrees, I cannot allow $4,000 to be spent on cosmetic repair of our TM that cost maybe $25,000 new and which we paid less than $10,000 for.

Have any of you had bodywork repair issues with your trailers and how did they get resolved. I intend to try to find a travel trailer body repair facility in my own city and see what they can do. We don't mind if repair to our TM is not cosmetically perfect; a few "battle scars" will give it character. If I cannot find such a facility, I intend to attempt to improve our TM's myself with a hammer and a piece of 2 X 4.

I sure would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!!

WWG
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

The skin on a TM is very very soft (delicate).

Is it possible to post a picture?

I did some MORE than cosmetic damage to my front shell. IA 1/4" x 6" gash which looks like it was never there with mighty putty.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
bfezel

Bill,

I had a major body damage issue on the right side of my 3124KS. It was from a light pole that I sideswiped in Springfield, Mo. The TM was still fully functional, but looked terrible. The factory replaced the right side of the front shell and the awning. They used the existing door and windows which were unaffected by the damage. Cost was around $4K.

Trust this is useful information for you.

Bill
Old 10-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Bill,
TM changed the construction of the top shells between 2002 and 2003. The preferred repair for damage such as you describe is to replace the front top shell. The factory would have to retool to manufacture a new shell like your existing one. In addition, I'm not sure if a new model shell would correctly replace the one you have or if it would fit over the existing rear top shell.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
Bill,
TM changed the construction of the top shells between 2002 and 2003. The preferred repair for damage such as you describe is to replace the front top shell. The factory would have to retool to manufacture a new shell like your existing one. In addition, I'm not sure if a new model shell would correctly replace the one you have or if it would fit over the existing rear top shell.
Mike
Pictures would be nice. No one can really make suggestions without seeing how extensive the damage is and where it is located.

I don't see any reason why a section of the shell couldn't be cut out, framed and a new section installed. That stuff is really easy to work with. The incision may be able to be covered with fiberglass and Bondo. A good body-man could make it look like it never happened.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
RogerR

I just had a sideswipe on my 2720sl. The front drivers side was damaged as well as the arms. The local dealer suggested that the side wall only be replaced and not the whole front shell.
The question I have is has anyone had this done and how successful was the repair? I am worried about color match and if the repair will hold up properly over the long run.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

One thing I recently learned is the smallest dents can cost a small fortune.

My Company Truck that actually cost $140,000.00 was recently hit in the Passenger side corner of the Box. It left a small dent about the size of a BaseBall. The LEO put damage as under 500.00 we he was wrong to say the least.

First thing I found out was no one wanted to work on the truck for fear I would be too picky based on the condition of the truck. I finally was able to get someone to give an Estimate for the repair. Unbelievable but estimate was just over $10,000.00.

Also from what I have read here if a TM is in what looks to be a minor accident or Hail damaged it can easily be totaled which is another reason to have good Insurance that isn't depreciated as normal.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote