TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
KenetteK

Default Switching out batteries

Is it easy to switch out an additional battery to the existing battery wiring on the TM? I'm learning all this.... and going to invest in another battery so I can run two. I'm not at all "electrical" savy.... that was my husband... an electrician... so I'm electrically challenged. You'll have to spell it out for me, please. Don't have my TM yet... getting it hopefully this week... at least start the process.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Do you want to add a battery so that you have two, or be able to charge one and then switch it with the one that's on the TM?

What model are you buying?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenetteK View Post
Is it easy to switch out an additional battery to the existing battery wiring on the TM? I'm learning all this.... and going to invest in another battery so I can run two. I'm not at all "electrical" savy.... that was my husband... an electrician... so I'm electrically challenged. You'll have to spell it out for me, please. Don't have my TM yet... getting it hopefully this week... at least start the process.
Very simple, get a heavy (10 gauge minimum) wire and run a it from + on battery 1 to + on battery 2 and a wire from the - on battery 1 to the - of battery 2. This will hook them up in parallel so the voltage is 12V and the amp hours will be roughly the sum of the 2. If you inavdertantly hook them up in series (+ to - and - to +) you will end up with 24V.... not good for 12V accessories. However, if you go with 6V golf cart batteries them you want to hook them up in series.
Hope this helps!

note: I transposed series and parallel, it is now fixed in the post thanks for catching that Bill.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If you want to hook up two batteries, maybe a picture will help.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Series parallel batteries.gif
Views:	459
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	2950  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
larsdennert

Make sure they are identical batteries.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
mtnguy

1 safety note that I would like to add to the above posts.......wear safety goggles, or better yet, a full face shield anytime you are messing around your batteries.

Chap
Old 09-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
JOEALAN

Default Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
If you want to hook up two batteries, maybe a picture will help.

Bill
Question, I'm assuming since the batteries are joined that they will equally deplete. Also, when recharging it will be only necessary to hook up one battery on the charger, since the charge will equally disperse to both batteries as long as one or the other battery isn't damage.

Thank you Bill,

Joe
Old 09-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This is true as long as the batteries are very similar or identical, and about the same age, as LarsDennert pointed out. If you hook up two wildly dissimilar batteries, it is still approximately true, but not entirely. In that case, you won't get the full capacity of both batteries. And if one battery is damaged, all bets are off.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

When you hook up your battery charger, it's best to put the positive lead on one battery and the neg lead on the other battery. It's also best to hook the batteries together with battery cables (at least 4G).

If one battery has a low cell, it will draw down both batteries over time. Check each cell of both batteries with a hydrometer 24 hours after fully charging them. All of the cells should read similarly. If you have one cell that reads lower than the others, it's best not to hook the batteries together. It may be better to use the battery with the low cell first, then use the other battery.

The most important thing is to keep your batteries topped off with distilled water.