TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
SCBillandJane

Default Fresh Water Leak

We just returned from a 9 week trip to Alaska. The fresh water leak started just before we were to cross into Canada. I posted and received suggestions that it might be from the outside shower. I plugged the supply lines to the shower, and that seemed to solve the problem. After crossing into Canada, the leak reappeared. The leak is only present when hooked up to city water or when we turn on the pump to use water from the holding tank. The water leaks out from around the top of the gray water tank area. I know that it is fresh water, but I am sure it looks differently to other campers. There is no water leak inside that we can find. I didn't want to let someone unfamiliar with TrailManors try to fix the leak. Now that I am home I can access the forum again, and I am hoping for advice. I live about 3 hours from the TM factory. The only ways I can see to access the leak would be to lift the tub, lower the gray tank, or possibly gain access through the rear outside cargo storage area. After reading of the difficulties of changing out the gray water tank, I wonder if the factory does this type of repair. If so, would this be the best way to handle the situation. Advice?
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Alrhall

This is what it looks like under my tub. The way the floor is cut out for the drains any fresh water leak would either run out where the tub trap is or down on the gray water tank.
Look under both sinks first any water leaking there would run under the bathroom floor in the drain cutout and down onto the top of the tank.
The tub drain has a trap with 2 threaded connections. It hangs down in the square hole in the picture. With it removed from below you can see some of the water pipes using a mirror.
If your outside shower mounts behind the tub like mine does you may be able gain some access by removing it before removing the tub. However there may not be enough slack in the water lines to disconnect them. The back of the shower can be seen on the lower right side of the picture.
It was not that hard to lift the tub. My tub was not solvent welded to the tank. With the trap removed it was no longer attached to the drain line to the tank.

However if I was only 3 hours from the factory I would let them have a look. I may still want to fix it myself, but the troubleshooting would go faster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Under the Tub 2 lr.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2954  
Old 09-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
AstroBruce

Do you hear the pump cycle occasionally when you are not using water?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
SCBillandJane

Yes. The pump does supply enough pressure to do dishes, but the leak at the gray tank starts. When water in the Trailmanor is turned off, the pump comes on every so often which again makes me believe there is a fresh water leak. Once the pump is turned off, there is no leak. The gray water tank can be full but no leak until there is water pressure
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bill and Jane -

You can get access to some of the plumbing by removing the wooden box enclosure above the faucet end of the tub. I did it in my 2002 TM, and it came off (and re-installed) quite easily. You can improve access a bit more by removing the outside shower enclosure - again, it came off and went back on quite easily. No guarantee that this will give you access to the specific location of the leak, but it will cost you only an hour's easy labor to find out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Joseph

Default Wow!

There is sure a lot of wires under that tub! Would hate to have a leak there! Thanks for the picture.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Alrhall

The left side of the picture is where the converter goes. I have it pulled out into the hallway. It goes under the "seat" in the tub. The wires fit under the seat also. I am going to organize the wires before I reinstall the tub.