TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
karl malmin

Default back corners separating 2000 3124 King

Has anyone out there run into this problem. We just returned from our first camping trip. From what I can tell the method of conecting the corners is totaly unacceptable.

Was there a desigh flaw in the 2000 models I haven't contacted Ed yet.

HELP !!!!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Was this the top shell, bottom shell, or what? More info'd be helpful.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
karl malmin

Default mountain man

It's the top shell in the rear on both sides of the TM. The side panel has broke loose from the rear panel. I thought it woulld be an easy fix but there is nothing to screw one to the other.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

No, there is no a design flaw.

If you take off the outside corner molding where the walls join, and cut out some of the foam sealant, you will find that the panels are framed with aluminum channel, screwed together at the corners - and that is a totally acceptable way of joining body panels. It is not a question of "nothing to screw into". I suggest you do this, replace the screws or insert new ones, then add a little foam, put the molding back on and recaulk.

I'm not at all clear on how or why a TM of this vintage could spring the body panels apart. My guess is that someone backed the trailer hard into a stump, fire hydrant, gas station barrier, or the like. The bumper would take the impact, but just as in a car, the sudden hard jolt could spring body panels apart.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
karl malmin

Thanks for your help. When we bought the TM in April this was not a problem except in the lower four inches. We bought the TM in a blinding rain storm in Knoxville TN. As you know the TM'S our extremly hard to find and we were so happy with our new purchase. We just love the 3124 and will never sell it.
We did drive to Lake City and was given a tour of the plant which was very impresive.

Back to our problem; I did cut the rubber from the molding. It seems as though the outer and inner skin has broke loose from the aluminum frames. The frames are screwed togather as they should be. On both sides there is two long screws just hanging loose. Was there any wood used in the lower corners, if so it's not there. Someone had tryed to silicone the outside corner on one side before we purchased the TM. I'll take another look at it tomorrow and get back to you.

I'm so sorry in my very first thread I Came across so negitive and used such poor choice of words. I hope I can be more positive from now on.

We live in the Great Smoky Mountains of NC Wev'e owned and operated Cozy Creek Cottages located in beautifull Maggie Valley.

Thanks !!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
retiredgoat

Hi Karl,

I had a 2001 3326 King and have had some wood rot problems and found that Ed at the factory and this forum guided me well threw it all and back on the road.

I used PL polyurethane premium construction adhesive to bond the inner foam and outer aluminum skin with clamps and screws to secure.

I was wondering does your lifting arms on the back seam farther out, sticking out more than the front shell arms? Just a silly question but the splitting apart is really different from any problems I have so far and I'm just thinking out loud here.

Good Luck
Bob R

Wow you live in a great place.