TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-10-2005, 05:37 AM   #1
Hondo

Default North to Alaska

I would like to hear from anyone who has made the trip to Alaska.
Did you make any special preparations for your TV or TM?
Did you have any mechanical trouble, and if so was it hard to get it fixed?
How much time did you spend from the US border until you returned to the US? Was that enough time or do you wish that you had taken more time?
Are there campgrounds at reasonable distances apart? Were they full hookups or did you dry camp most of the time? Costly? Reservations?
Do you recommend stocking up on supplies before crossing the border?
Did you take any ferries? Is there a size limitation on RVs?
Are there some special things that you saw or did that "you will always remember?"
Do you have any recommendations such as take plenty of_______ , watch out for_____ , or if you are a fisherman you should______.
The Travel Channel makes it sound like a don't miss adventure of a life time. Was it? Thanks for any information you can give me.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
jouster

Default Alaska

We are starting to make our plans for next year. At the top of the plan is to leave the TM, probably in Prince George, and continue on in our van. I do not want to deal with the TM on the ferries or the wear and tear the roads would give it. I will consider the van ready for the junk yard when we get back.

We are estimating 8 to 10 weeks from Washington. More if we need it.

Re ferries, the longer it is, the more you pay. And the less flexibility you will have getting on and off. [July is peak season both ways]

Best single reference is "Milepost"

The advise we got is "just do it"
Old 06-17-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

We returned yesterday from a 30 day trip as far up as Skagway/Juneau, Ak and Whitehorse YT. Comments and partial answers to your questions are:

(1) Crossing the border is not a problem. Just take your passports and answer their questions politely- avoid comedy.

(2) We averaged about US$3.00 per US gallon for regular gasoline and it gets more expensive the further north you go. Stations are fairly frequent along the Ak Hwy although ther are some stretches of 75mi or so with nothing. There are usually signs warning of this but you may not want to let your tank get below 1/2 full without stopping.

(3) Campgrounds are primitive but plentiful and we found hookups every night. Not cheap however; $18-20US. Many people just stop at pull outs.

(4) Roads are paved and in generally good shape although they are (and probably always will be) constantly being upgraded and rebuilt in places. I'd guess we had 30 miles of construction in our 3,600mi trip. The Cassier has about 50mi that has never been paved if you are considering that route. It's billowing dust when dry and sticky mud when wet.

(5) Canada is more expensive now that the US$ has slipped fron .63 to .81 to $1 Canadian.

(6) Canadians are very friendly and will almost never ask you about political stuff.

On the TM:

(1) Our 2619 served us well although we were amazed at how much dust found it's way inside at the construction sites. I think we could have planted crops inside after one long dusty run and we spent a couple of hours with the vac and a sponge cleaning up that night. Fortunately the beds are little affected because they are pressed against the ceiling when the TM is closed. Pray for rain during your travels- It's easier to clean the outside than the inside. All RVs have this problem to some extent.

(2) Mosquitos find their way inside as well but we found that leaving the inside lights off (it's light at night there anyway) greatly lessened the problem. I guess they come in wherever light comes out.

We lived in Juneau for a number of years before moving to Wa. State in 2003 so a trip to Alaska is not a big deal fro us. I think you'll find the same thing.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote