TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2002, 09:54 AM   #1
Happytrails

Default Reply to Trailmanors

Trailmanors, sounds like you got a pretty good deal going on if the price is right since it's been sheltered. I did think of one thing you should check.....the plumbing....make sure it was properly winterized.....if it's not been used in a year or more, if you turn on the faucet, some redish pink solution should come out, or nothing at all. Make sure no water leaks out of funny places in the TM denoting busted pipes that had been frozen in the past, as well as the tank. You should probably get them to fill the tank while you're there and make sure all that works as it's supposed to including the hot water and water pump, and that the tank itself doesn't leak.
Using a regular "bumper ball".......well, you WILL need at least a class three hitch as it has a toungue weight of 450lbs or more......anti sway isn't necessary as they really don't sway at all because they're light and do have a heavy toungue weight. I do use a weight distributing hitch as well because of the small size of my tow vehicle, but you may not need one. The carpet will probably come clean with a steam cleaner as they use very low maintenence carpeting in them. Just a few thoughts...........

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails............[/glow]
Old 10-03-2002, 10:26 AM   #2

Default Re: Reply to Trailmanors

Happy Trails, thank you for your help.  Price is $5600.00.
I'll plan to check the plumbing.  I did go ahead today and get a class 3 hitch installed.  It's a Draw-tite; I was told Reece hitches are now made by Draw-tite.  Driving 125 miles home on two-lane highways with some hills should give me a little orientation.  From what I'm getting from this site, I'm looking forward to both towing and camping. Thanks also for helping me get to the right place (topic pages).  I want to observe good trail manners!

Trailmanners in GA
Old 10-04-2002, 09:51 AM   #3
Happytrails

Sounds like a fairly good price with the options you have. I ran it through NADA's web site and put in what options I thought you might have and came up with this:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/Val...Model=00065866

Tho since you know exactly what options you have, you might want to run it through it yourself and see what you come up with, but I think it's a pretty fair price for what all you're getting.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails............[/glow]

P.S........I clicked the link, and it didn't show the value with the options you had, just the "unoptioned" price.....you should go there and put in all the options you do have and see what it says.........
Old 10-04-2002, 01:20 PM   #4

Default :)Re: Reply to Trailmanors

Thanks for exploring this purchase with me.  Tomorrow is pick up day.  I'll plan to post how the tow goes. Then after NEXT weekend, perhaps I can report on the camping experience with a TM!

Trailmanners

Old 10-05-2002, 11:08 AM   #5

Update from Trailmanners for Happytrails and Alla Y'all
On the Purchase and Tow Home:

One of the sweetest '83 y/o gentlemen in North Georgia and his wife watched the back of their (until today) TM pull out of their yard.  One "hitch" in getting hitched was the light wiring.  We never did get it completely right.  I may tinker with it here at home, or I may take it to the pro's nearby.

Great tow home!  I experimented with cruise control, lock-out switch on torque converter, and doing the manual shift as someone here mentioned.  Used anti-sway bar only because "Mr. Charlie" included it and switched ball mount bars with me because his had the sway bar ball on it.  My trail partner even drove for a stretch, and she did fine (as I expected her to).

We were on 2-lane highways with max of app 55 mph.
We had no big trucks passing, so didn't get that test.

Thanks again, Happytrails, for sharing your TM wisdom.
I expect I'll be asking more questions.

Practicing trail manners in GA,
Trailmanners

;D